Here our Histology techs and tech assistants collect all FNAs.  We stopped
making thyroid smears 2 years ago, preferring to collect 6 passes, 5 directly
flushed into Cytolyte for CB and Thin Prep, and one pass into Affirma holding
solutions for possible testing for equivocal samples.  Using this method, our
positive adequacy for thyroids actually increased.
We seldom have actual "fluid aspirates" for other samples, preferring to take
core biopsies, roll them on sterile slides - fix and stain, then place the core
in Formalin or RPMI as needed. Our pathologists make the adequacy/diagnosis
from the stained slides and we have more tissue material for special studies.
There is no specific requirement for the staff making the smears, other than
training and documentation of training and competency.
I've worked where other non-lab staff made the preps, and with the same
training, can be equally as competent.
Hope this helps. Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
HNL Laboratories for