I wouldn't say softening, I would say hydrating.  Ammonia water accelerates
hydration of FFPE blocks.  Nobody knows how it works, it's a mystery.  Or
at least I've never heard a scientific explanation.  Only pseudo-scientific
mumbo jumbo like "facilitates the removal of paraffin" which is false.  Go
soak a solid block of paraffin in pure NH4OH for 24 hours, it won't do
anything.

I was told as a student at AFIP, "It opens the pores of the tissue so water
can get in."  In other words, pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo.

 It works though.  Somebody needs to get a $150,000,000 NIH grant and do a
research project on how ammonia water hydrates tissue.  I worked with some
lovely Hmong people in California that called it "crying water".

Using it can cause a big interpersonal problem with certain people in the
lab though.  Interestingly, hypersensitivity to smells is one of the
symptoms of autism.  Hypersensitivity to smells is also highly correlated
with bipolar disorder and heightened emotional reactivity.  Sooo...

Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)