From: Alexis Rondeau [mailto:alexis.rond...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:05 AM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Individual distinction on two or more columns

Hi there,

I'm currently getting my feet wet with Hive and am very impressed how quick and
easy it was to get going and try things out.

I am trying to run a query using count(distinct) on two separate columns is
failing as follows:

hive> select count(distinct user), count(distinct session) from actions;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: line 2:7 DISTINCT on Different Columns not
Supported user

While the similar semantics work fine in sql, is there a recommended workaround
for this limitation or something that will be included in future releases?

Any pointers are appreciated, thank you very much in advance,

Alexis

--
Alexis Rondeau