The Hive JDBC client can run in two different modes: standalone and
embedded.

Standalone mode is where the client connects to a separate standalone
HiveServer by specifying the host:port of the server in the jdbc URL like
this: jdbc:hive://localhost:10000/default. In this case the hive configs are
not needed by the client, since the client is making thrift requests to the
server which has the Hive configs. the Hive Server knows how to resolve the
metastore.

Embedded mode is where the JDBC client "connects to itself" so to speak
using a JDBC url like this: jdbc:hive://. It's as if the client is running
an embedded server that only it communicates with. In this case the client
needs the Hive configs since it needs to resolve the metastore, amongst
other things. The metastore dependency in this case is what will cause you
to see jpox errors appear if those jars aren't found.

HTH,
Bill