  Undilah PAS : MENENTANG KEZALIMAN & MENEGAKKAN KEADILAN

Letter of the Day: Don't politicise or repeatedly publicise
shooting of doctor

THE unfortunate shooting of Dr Tai Eng Teck by a police
constable on crime prevention rounds recently has shocked
and saddened the nation, and the pain and anguish of his
family and those who knew him is understandable.

The death of the young doctor with a promising career is a
tragedy and the nation sympathises with his family.

When such incidents occur, there are bound to be critical
comments, some irrational. In most cases, some lessons are
learnt, the shortcomings identified, and some goodwill come
out of it. But at times past mistakes are repeated, for
human beings are far from perfect.

It is noteworthy that Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri
Norian Mai had almost immediately offered the sympathies of
the force to the family of the deceased. More importantly,
investigations have been initiated and the policeman who
shot Dr Tai has been charged with causing his death.

Justice should thus be allowed to take its course, without
anyone, particularly politicians, attempting to gain mileage
from the incident. Anyone with a conscience will feel
disgusted at the way the shooting has been politicised.

I am sure the policeman concerned is suffering nightmares in
the aftermath of what he has done although at that fateful
moment, he must have thought it was in line with his duties.

I feel sorry for him and I am sure his family is also
suffering.

One must understand that in the face of danger or a complex
situation, a policeman often has to make a decision within a
fraction of a second, and we can only hope that the response
will be the right one.

I am in no way condoning "trigger-happy" action, but merely
emphasising that the policeman concerned or the police force
at largenot be unfairly judged.

The people should remember that Norian has assumed the post
of Inspector-General of Police at the most critical time,
but has immediately moved to restore public confidence in
the force.

The country today is facing some problems, including street
disturbances by the reformasi group. Norian and his senior
officers should be allowed to address such troubles and
other security threats, instead of having to worry about
people taking potshots at the force.

We must remember that while most of us are safely in our
beds at night, the police have to be vigilant round the
clock, combating crime and preserving public order.

One needs only compare our situation with that of our "big
neighbour" to appreciate the high degree of peace we enjoy;
so treasure it.

Let us not rub salt into the wounds of Dr Tai's family by
repeatedly publicising the shooting.

Instead, let us pray his soul will rest in peace and that
God will grant strength to his family in this time of loss.

"Uncle" Roger Phang
Kuala Lumpur