  Undilah PAS : MENENTANG KEZALIMAN & MENEGAKKAN KEADILAN
From:
         Nyem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fri 7:51

 Subject:
         [ADIL-Net] [newpaper] Is Ummi the victim? You decide
      To:
         [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Nyem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/world/npwo24.html
Is Ummi the victim? You decide
Oct 28, 1999

JUST OLD CLOTHES
I may have worn a new outfit each day at the Anwar trial, but they were
all
old clothes... some don't fit so well any more (laughs). I didn't buy
any
new clothes for the trial. I have a collection of about 200 pieces... In

business, it is important to dress well, and my mother brought me up to
be
particular about beauty. I like to look good.

QUEEN OF HER HEART
I've always looked up to Lady Diana. I was very impressed with her
statement that she didn't see herself as a Queen of England, but rather
as
a Queen of People's Hearts. I want to be like her one day... perhaps
with a
Yayasan Ummi (Ummi Foundation) to help the needy. If I were to become
successful corporate player, there'd be an allocation for the poor -
scholarships, say, for their children to further their studies.

KING OF HER HEART
I don't mind saying that I've had only one boyfriend (that was earlier
in
this decade). It lasted about two years. I haven't thought so much about

these things.

I GET LETTERS
I am grateful to the Malaysians who have given me moral support. I
apprciate those who wrote to me. Two Singaporeans sent letters! One man
- a
businessman - even enclosed all the press reports about my case.

TO Anwar Ibrahim, she was a despised tormentor.

She accused Malaysia's then-deputy prime minister of sex crimes and she
testified against him in court.

Now, she has launched an anti-Anwar roadshow - and is even writing what
she
promises to be an evidence-laden expose.

Yet, Miss Ummi Hafilda Ali, 32, will tell you that she is a true victim
of
the Anwar saga.

That her life, freedom and career have all been jeopardised and
brutalised.

I HAVE TO HIDE

Miss Ummi, who was interviewed in a hotel lobby in Alor Setar, Kedah,
claimed:

"I am on the run. I'm in hiding. People are looking for me. They want to

kill me."

She said these attempts began after she went public with her allegations

and that, on Oct 6, three bullets were found in a microphone she - and
other speakers - were to use.

"It's lucky they were discovered! I was told that if the microphone
heated
up, the bullets might have exploded."

The incident occurred at an Umno function (which was not cancelled) in
Langgar, Kedah.

It was reported in the local papers and The Straits Times.

In addition, over the last months, Miss Ummi said strange men in black
jackets had been seen lurking around her office carpark - but they fled
when the police were called.

Her new Mercedes-Benz was found torched.

"And once, blood - of a dog, the police later told me - was splashed at
my
mother's doorstep."

Her mother was terrified and, eventually, Miss Ummi moved out "for the
sake
of my family's safety".

HOW CAN I CONCENTRATE?

Today, she keeps her address a secret.

Security men keep an eye on her - though she declined to discuss
details.

There were no bodyguards with her during the interview, but she would
only
say "she felt safe in Kedah".

"With all this, of course, I could no longer concentrate on my
business,"
she added.

Miss Ummi once had ambitions of being a corporate player. She had a
contract to distribute anti-drug posters to schools.

But (partly because she was distracted by the Anwar case, she said) she
had
to terminate an arrangement with a supplier - who then sued her for
RM250,000 ($122,000).

"I had to declare myself a bankrupt. If I received millions, as some
say,
for telling my story, I wouldn't have had to do that, would I?" she
said.

I'M SENSITIVE, I CRY

Throughout the interview, Miss Ummi came across as a tough cookie with a

formidable single-mindedness.

There is little self-doubt about her, no hint of "maybe, I should back
off".

But the former motivational speaker, who has a degree in Public
Administration, can also be charming.

She dresses smartly and speaks flawless English.

After hesitatingly describing herself as "a person of strong character",

she added that "I'm actually very sensitive, too. Maybe it's because I'm
Cancerian, you know".

Some nights, she said, she would break down and cry over her ordeal.

And she speaks with a twinkle about anything from romance to her
well-known
wardrobe.

She is also proud of her upbringing.

According to Miss Ummi, she grew up "in a normal family" with five
siblings
in Kuala Lumpur.

Her father, who recently passed away, was a religious teacher who
instilled
in her a deep belief in God and a hatred for hypocrisy, she said.

She would not discuss press reports that he had disowned her because of
the
Anwar case.

I'LL BE BACK

Neither would she reveal how she'll be making a big business comeback.

"I already have some plans, but I don't think I'll reveal them just
now,"
she said, leaving the answer floating in an air of mystery.

Since she admits to having monied (but publicity-hating) friends, it
would
be unwise to start counting her out.

On the contrary, one could say she has only just begun.

LETTER-WRITER

SHE was the one who wrote a letter to Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir
Mohamad, informing him that Anwar Ibrahim was having an affair with her
sister-in-law.

She was arrested by the police and hauled in for questioning.

She was subsequently released and, when Anwar went on trial for
corruption
last year, she was one of the key witnesses who testified against him.

DOWNLOAD OR DIE OF EMBARASSMENT 'CAUSE YOU MISSED THE BEST DEAL ONLINE!
Get cash back up to 25 percent when you shop at the DASH virtual mall.
We've got newyorkfirst, Great Coffee.com and 75 more. Download free NOW!

 ADIL Homepage: http://members.easyspace.com/reformasi/