Wednesday, November 3, 1999

'I was not Rahim's girl'

Teacher had forced me to lie, says Norhayati

By Devid Rajah

MALACCA: The girl who was implicated in Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Tamby Chik's alleged sex scandal has made a statutory declaration denying her involvement with the former chief minister of Malacca.

Norhayati Md Yusof, who is now 20, said yesterday: "I thought the sex allegation had been put to rest but it was raised again in Datuk Seri Anwar's trial," adding that she had to defend her family by informing the press and the public.

Star Online Pix alt
MEETING THE PRESS ... Norhayati reading out the statutory declaration at the press conference in Malacca yesterday. Beside her is her husband Sulaiman Mohd Ali. -- STARpic by Anuar Rashid
Norhayati, who was only 15 years old when she was implicated in the scandal, was accompanied by her husband Sulaiman Mohd Ali, 28, a factory worker.

The mother of a six-month-old son also accused one Cikgu Zainal, a secondary school teacher, of forcing her to lie and plot a conspiracy.

Speaking at a press conference at the Straits Meridian Hotel, Norhayati said she was doing this on her own accord and was not forced or influenced by anyone.

Her husband Sulaiman said they had to do this because the matter was raised in Anwar's sodomy trial on Oct 29.

Sulaiman said he was neither instructed by Rahim nor had he kept in touch with him.

Norhayati claimed Zainal had used her and also forced her to lie in court as well to the police.

In the statutory declaration, which was made on Sept 2, 1998, Norhayati, who gave her occupation as factory worker, claimed that Zainal wanted to transfer her to the Puteri Wilayah School, a boarding school, because she had been playing truant.

"Two weeks before I was sent to Sekolah Puteri, Zainal told me to follow him in his car to meet a friend.

"Zainal asked me if I knew one Ibrahim Jendol while travelling to Kuala Lumpur. During the journey he did not speak to me," she said.

In Kuala Lumpur, Norhayati said she was taken to meet one Dr Maamor at a clinic.

"After reaching there, Zainal and Dr Maamor talked outside the car and wanted me to slander Tan Sri but I didn't want to.

"I was made to stay at Dr Maamor's clinic for two weeks and during that time Zainal and Dr Maamor taught me to fabricate a story about an illicit relationship with Tan Sri (Rahim)," she said.

Norhayati said that following this, Zainal took her to meet Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

"There were four other people there but I did not know who they were. Zainal spoke first by saying that I had complained to him (Zainal) that I had an illicit relationship with Tan Sri.

Zainal looked at me and I said ya (yes) and nodded my head at the Prime Minister.

"The Prime Minister was listening quietly and after that he ordered those present (whose identities she said she did not know) to investigate the matter properly."

Norhayati said that after meeting the Prime Minister, she was taken by Zainal to the police headquarters at Bukit Aman.

"I arrived at Bukit Aman at 8.30pm and there Zainal forced me to lodge a report against Tan Sri. I was held at Bukit Aman for 50 days," she said.

Norhayati said that in Bukit Aman, she was questioned by one DSP Chong for two hours.

"Zainal and Dr Maamor told me to create a story that I was having a relationship with Tan Sri. Zainal had earlier taught me what to say at Dr Maamor's clinic.

"He told me to admit that I had an illicit relationship with Tan Sri. DSP Chong took down a statement from me. When I made the statement I knew it was a false allegation.

"Earlier, Zainal told me that he made a separate statement to DSP Chong but did not show me the statement. However, I saw it when DSP Chong was questioning me.

"The police just asked me to admit my relationship with Tan Sri. DSP Chong used Zainal's statement to question me and asked me to sign a statement which I did not read," she said.

Also present at the press conference was one Musa Mad Nor, a businessman, who claimed that he had helped to organise the press conference as he was staying in the same village as the girl.

Norhayati said while she was held at Bukit Aman, her father, grandmother and elder sister visited her.

"I told them that I was forced to admit that I had a relationship with Tan Sri. I told my grandmother, Puan Pendek Ahmad, that I was forced to admit it but she told me something else.

"When I was in Bukit Aman, I met Dr Abdul Rahman, who asked if the allegation was true. He wanted to examine me if it was true. When the doctor asked me if there were any marks on Tan Sri, I just created some marks.

"In reality I didn't know. The doctor did not examine me. Before this, DSP Chong asked if I remembered any marks on Tan Sri's body. Zainal had told me earlier in the car and at the clinic that I must tell the police of convincing marks.

"After 50 days, DSP Chong said that I would be sent to Taman Seri Puteri in Rembau (a rehabilitation centre for women).

"At the centre I told my grandmother that my relationship with Tan Sri was false and that Zainal had forced me to defame him (Rahim).

"My blood was tested in Malacca, I was taken to the hospital by one Insp Azizah. I was told that they wanted to know if the child I was expecting belonged to Tan Sri.

(She gave birth to a girl in early 1995.)

Norhayati said Dr Maamor examined her and was told that she was two months' pregnant but "I was never told the results."

"I have made a declaration to deny my involvement with Tan Sri because I felt it was wrongful.

"No one forced me to make this declaration," said Norhayati, who spent three years at Taman Seri Puteri.

She said while she was at the rehabilitation centre she wrote a declaration letter during Hari Raya.

Norhayati said her sister discussed the letter with her because "I wanted to know how to deny the false story (against Rahim)."

"My sister suggested that I make a declaration but the contents were written by me with my sister's assistance.

Norhayati said she was released from the rehabilitation centre in 1996 and the declaration was made in 1998 in front of a Commissioner for Oaths, Chong Yong Mok, at Lorong Gereja Melaka.

Norhayati said she knew the consequence of her statutory declaration and was willing to take the risks.

She also said that her relationship with her grandmother, was cordial.

n_norha.jpg

Kirim email ke