  Undilah PAS : MENENTANG KEZALIMAN & MENEGAKKAN KEADILAN
Riot police protest against negative public portrayal

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 7 - In an emotionally charged public protest today,  brutal, violent
Federal Reserve Unit (FRU)
officers expressed  frustration over the stereotyping in the independent media of riot
 policemen as brutal, violent psychopaths.
The demonstration by some 500  FRU riot police was violently broken up by another 500
FRU riot police.

 "As a brutal, violent riot policeman, I feel hurt by the negative  portrayal of my
profession in some of the media," Ahmad
Terajang, 31,  told reporters at the demonstration in Dataran Merdeka. "None of us
should have to live with stereotyping and
ignorance."

 He then began screaming and firing tear gas into a small crowd of  civilian
by-standers nearby.

 "It hurts that in this supposedly enlightened day and age, people still  make
assumptions about other people," Bantai said, as he
slowly twisted  the neck of a nearby pensioner. "We should not rely on simple
generalizations. Each crazed riot policeman is an
individual."

 Another demonstrating FRU officer, A Pukulsamy, 29, said that he  himself has often
been unfairly stereotyped. "Any time I
approach a  small crowd with fully loaded tear gas guns and batons swinging, people
just assume I'm going to harm them," he
said. "That really hurts."

 "Yes, I sometimes do crack their skulls in the name of law and order,"  he noted.
"But there is so much more to me."

 "I walk into a supermarket in full riot gear and people immediately  jump to
conclusions on the basis of the colour of my helmet
and  uniform," officer Lim Ban Tai. "We are victims of prejudice ,and this  can be
very hurtful and frustrating," he said weeping
from the tear  gas.

 FRU officers had last week pleaded their case and brought their  grievances to human
rights group SUARAM. A subsequent
peaceful demo  organised by SUARAM, "Freedom for the FRU Day",  was violently broken
up by FRU.

"People forget that we are professionals and take great pride in our  work," said Ali
Sepak, 32. Ali gained worldwide fame
when international  news agencies filmed him dragging a sixty-year old woman by the
hair  along Jalan TAR and beamed the
pictures to every cable news channel in  the world. "We have brought international
recognition to Malaysia. And  what do we
get? Bad PR."

 According to Ali, stereotypes against brutal, violent riot policemen  don't work
because they don't take into account the vast
diversity of  professional experience and variety of cultures among them.

 "There are so many different kinds of brutal, violent riot policemen.  Each of us has
our own unique reasons and motivations for
beating the  crap out of people. Some like the brisk exercise. Others like to see  the
sight of blood. I personally like the to hear
the gurgle in their  throats as I ram my baton down their windpipes."

 Pukulsamy  also stressed the importance of understanding and  celebrating the
cultural differences between brutal, violent riot
policemen and non-brutal, non-violent civilians. "All the different  peoples of the
world have something special to offer each
other," he  said. "Our diversity is our greatest strength. Let's not make a  weakness
out of that strength."

 To emphasize his point, Pukulsamy fired into a nearby crowd with his  automatic
rifle, killing nine.

 "I'm proud to be a brutal, violent riot policeman, obviously," he said  in between
first. Eat lead,  you Reformasi bastards!" he declared, as he fired another clip into
a  passing schoolbus.

 ~ By a Special Correspondent of 'Not The New Straits Times'

 =====
 /\__/\
  o  o
 ={_!_}=