Sura 4. An-Nisaa Section 5 (Y. Ali Translation)
26.     Allah doth wish to make clear to you and to show you the ordinances of
those before you; and (He doth wish to) turn to you (in Mercy): and Allah
is All-Knowing All-Wise.
27.     Allah doth wish to turn to you but the wish of those who follow their
lusts is that ye should turn away (from Him) far far away.
28.     Allah doth wish to lighten your (difficulties): for man was created
weak (in flesh).
29.     O ye who believe! eat not up your property among yourselves in
vanities: but let there be amongst you traffic and trade by mutual
good-will: nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily Allah hath been to
you Most Merciful.
30.     If any do that in rancor and injustice soon shall We cast them into the
fire: and easy it is for Allah.
31.     If ye (but) eschew the most heinous of the things which ye are
forbidden to do We shall expel out of you all the evil in you and admit you
to a Gate of great honor.
32.     And in no wise covet those things in which Allah hath bestowed his
gifts more freely on some of you than on others: to men is allotted what
they earn and to women what they earn: but ask Allah of His bounty: for
Allah hath full knowledge of all things.
33.     To (benefit) everyone We have appointed sharers and heirs to property
left by parents and relatives.  To those also to whom your right hand was
pledged give their due portion: for truly Allah is Witness to all things.

Sura 4. An-Nisaa Section 5 (Y. Ali Commentary)
26:     No commentary available.
27:     No commentary available.
28:     No commentary available.
29:     c. 541. Let me paraphrase this verse, for there is profound meaning in
it. (1) All your property you hold in trust, whether it is in your name, or
belongs to the community, or to people over whom you have control. To waste
is wrong. (2) In ii. 188 the same phrase occurred, to caution us against
greed. Here it occurs, to encourage us to increase property by economic use
(traffic and trade), recalling Christ's parable of the Talents (Matt. xxv.
14-30), where the servants who had increased their master's wealth were
promoted and the servant who had hoarded was cast into darkness. (3) We are
warned that our waste may mean our own destruction ("nor kill or destroy
yourselves.") But there is a more general meaning also: we must be careful
of our own and other people's lives. We must commit no violence. This is
the opposite of "trade and traffic by mutual good-will." (4) Our violence
to our own brethren is particularly preposterous, seeing that Allah has
loved and showered His mercies on us and all His creatures.
30:     No commentary available.
31:     No commentary available.
32:     c. 542. Men and women have gifts from Allah-some greater than others.
They seem unequal, but we are assured that Allah has allotted them by a
scheme by which people receive what they earn. If this does not appear
clear in our sight, let us remember that we have no full knowledge but
Allah has. We must not be jealous if other people have more than we have-in
wealth or position or strength or honour or talent or happiness. Probably
things are equalized in the aggregate or in the long run, or equated to
needs and merits on a scale which we cannot appraise. If we want more,
instead of being jealous or covetous, we should pray to Allah and place
before Him our needs. Though He knows all, and has no need of our prayer,
our prayer may reveal to ourselves our shortcomings and enable us to
deserve more of Allah's bounty or make ourselves fit for it.
33:     c. 543. Mawali, plural of Maula; from the root wala, to be near in
place or relationship, to follow, Maula may therefore mean: (1) nearly
related, (2) heir, (3) sharer or partner; these three meanings are implied
here; (4) neighbour, or friend, or protector, or client (xliv. 44); (5)
lord or master (xvi. 76).
c. 544. When the emigration took place from Makkah to Madinah, bonds and
links of brotherhood were established between the Emigrants and the
Helpers, and they shared in each other's inheritance. Later, when the
Community was solidly established, and relations with those left behind in
Makkah were resumed, the rights of blood-relations in Makkah, and the
Helper-brethren in Madinah were both safeguarded. This is the particular
meaning. The more general meaning is similar; respect your ties of blood,
of neighbourhood, and of friendly compacts and understandings. Be just to all.