Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 8 (Y. Ali Translation)
54.     O ye who believe! if any from among you turn back from his faith soon
will Allah produce a people whom He will love as they will love Him lowly
with the believers mighty against the rejecters fighting in the way of
Allah and never afraid of the reproaches of such as find fault.  That is
the Grace of Allah which He will bestow on whom He pleaseth: and Allah
encompasseth all and He knoweth all things.
55.     Your (real) friends are (no less than) Allah His Apostle and the
(fellowship of) believers those who establish regular prayers and regular
charity and they bow down humbly (in worship).
56.     As to those who turn (for friendship) to Allah His Apostle and the
(fellowship of) believers it is the fellowship of Allah that must certainly
triumph.
57.     O ye who believe! take not for friends and protectors those who take
your religion for a mockery or sport whether among those who received the
Scripture before you or among those who reject faith; but fear ye Allah if
ye have Faith (indeed).
58.     When ye proclaim your call to prayer they take it (but) as mockery and
sport; that is because they are a people without understanding.
59.     Say: "O People of the Book! do ye disapprove of us for no other reason
than that we believe in Allah and the revelation that hath come to us and
that which came before (us) and (perhaps) that most of you are rebellious
and disobedient?"

Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 8 (Y. Ali Commentary)
54:     c. 767. As "most men are rebellious" (v. 49), it is inevitable that
there should be apostates even from such a religion of reason and
common-sense as Islam. But here is a warning to the Muslim body that they
should not repeat the history of the Jews, and become so self-satisfied or
arrogant as to depart from the spirit of Allah's teaching. If they do, the
loss will be their own. Allah's bounty is not confined to one group or
section of humanity. He can always raise up people who will follow the true
spirit of Islam. That spirit is defined in two ways: first in general
terms; they will love Allah and Allah will love them; and secondly, by
specific signs; amongst the Brethren, their attitude will be that of
humility, but to wrong-doers they will offer no mealy-mouthed compromises;
they will always strive and fight for truth and right; they will know no
fear, either physical, or that more insidious form, which says; "What will
people say if we act thus? They are too great in mind to be haunted by any
such thought. For, as the next verse says, their friends are Allah, His
Prophet, and His people, the people who judge rightly, without fear or favour.
55:     No commentary available.
56:     No commentary available.
57:     c. 768. It is not right that we should be in intimate association with
those to whom religion is either a subject of mockery or at best is nothing
but a plaything. They may be amused, or they may have other motives for
encouraging you. But your association with them will sap the earnestness of
your Faith, and make you cynical and insincere.
58:     No commentary available.
59:     c. 769. There is the most biting irony in this and the next verse, You
People of the Book! Do you hate us because we believe in Allah and not only
our scripture, but yours also? Perhaps you hate us because we obey and you
are in rebellion against Allah! Why hate us? There are worse things than
our obedience and our Faith. Shall I tell you some of them? Our test will
be: what treatment Allah meted out to the things I mention. Who were the
people who incurred the curse of Allah? (See Deut. xi. 28, and xxviii.
15-68: and numerous passages like Hosea viii. 14, and ix- 1). Who provoked
Allah's wrath? (See numerous passages like Deut. i. 34: Matt. iii. 7). Who
forsook Allah, and worshipped evil? (See Jeremiah, xvi. 11-13). That is
your record. Is that why you hate us?'