Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 11 (Y. Ali Translation)
81.     If only they had believed in Allah in the Apostle and in what hath been
revealed to him never would they have taken them for friends and protectors
but most of them are rebellious wrong-doers.
82.     Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews
and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find
those who say: "We are Christians:" because amongst these are men devoted
to learning and men who have renounced the world and they are not arrogant.
83.     And when they listen to the revelation received by the Apostle thou
wilt see their eyes overflowing with tears for they recognize the truth:
they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses.
84.     "What cause can we have not to believe in Allah and the truth which has
come to us seeing that we long for our Lord to admit us to the company of
the righteous?"
85.     And for this their prayer hath Allah rewarded them with gardens with
rivers flowing underneath their eternal home.  Such is the recompense of
those who do good.
86.     But those who reject faith and belie our Signs they shall be companions
of hell-fire.
87.     O ye who believe! make not unlawful the good things which Allah hath
made lawful for you but commit no excess: for Allah loveth not those given
to excess.
88.     Eat of the things which Allah hath provided for you lawful and good:
but fear Allah in Whom ye believe.
89.     Allah will not call you to account for what is futile in your oaths but
He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation feed
then indigent persons on a scale of the average for the food of your
families; or clothe them; or give a slave his freedom.  If that is beyond
your means fast for three days.  That is the expiation for the oaths ye
have sworn.  But keep to your oaths.  Thus doth Allah make clear to you His
Signs that ye may be grateful.

Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 11 (Y. Ali Commentary)
81:     No commentary available.
82:     c. 789. The meaning is not that they merely call themselves Christians,
but that they were such sincere Christians that they appreciated Muslim
virtues, as did the Abyssinians to whom Muslim refugees went during the
persecution in Makkah.
c. 790. Qissis: I have translated as "devoted to learning," following the
Commentators. it seems to be a foreign word, possibly Abyssinian rather
than Syriac, as the reference seems to be to the Abyssinian Christians.
Their real devotion to learning and the renunciation of the world by the
Monastic Orders are contrasted with the hypocrisy and arrogance of the
Pharisees and Scribes.
83:     No commentary available.
84:     No commentary available.
85:     No commentary available.
86:     No commentary available.
87:     c. 791. In pleasures that are good and lawful the crime is excess.
There is no merit merely in abstention or asceticism, though the humility
or unselfishness that may go with asceticism may have its value. In v. 82,
Christian monks are praised for particular virtues, though here and
elsewhere monasticism is disapproved of. Use Allah's gifts of all kinds
with gratitude, but excess is not approved of by Allah.
88:     No commentary available.
89:     c. 792. Vows of penance or abstention may sometimes be futile, or even
stand in the way of really good or virtuous act. See ii. 224-226, and
notes. The general principles established are: (1) take no futile oaths;
(2) use not Allah's name, literally or in intention, to fetter yourself
against doing a lawful or good act: (3) keep to your solemn oaths to the
utmost of your ability; (4) where you are unable to do so, expiate your
failure by feeding or clothing the poor, or obtaining some one's freedom,
or if you have not the means, by fasting. This is from a spiritual aspect.