Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 14 (Y. Ali Translation)
104.    When it is said to them: "Come to what Allah hath revealed; come to
the Apostle": they say: "Enough for us are the ways we found our fathers
following."  What! even though their fathers were void of knowledge and
guidance?
105.    O ye who believe! guard your own souls: if ye follow (right) guidance
no hurt can come to you from those who stray.  The goal of you all is to
Allah: it is He that will show you the truth of all that ye do.
106.    O ye who believe! when death approaches any of you (take) witnesses
among yourselves when making bequests two just men of your own
(brotherhood) or others from outside if ye are journeying through the earth
and the chance of death befalls you (thus).  If ye doubt (their truth)
detain them both after prayer and let them both swear by Allah: "We wish
not in this for any worldly gain even though the (beneficiary) be our near
relation: we shall hide not the evidence before Allah: if we do then
behold! the sin be upon us!"
107.    But if it gets known that these two were guilty of the sin (of
perjury).  Let two others stand forth in their places nearest in kin from
among those who claim a lawful right: let them swear by Allah: "We affirm
that our witness is truer than that of those two and that we have not
trespassed (beyond the truth): if we did behold! the wrong be upon us!
108.    That is most suitable: that they may give the evidence in its true
nature and shape or else they would fear that other oaths would be taken
after their oaths.  But fear Allah and listen (to His counsel): for Allah
guideth not a rebellious people.
109.    One day will Allah gather the apostles together and ask: "What was the
response ye received (from men to your teaching)?  They will say: "We have
no knowledge: it is thou who knowest in full all that is hidden.
110.    Then will Allah say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! recount my favor to
thee and to thy mother.  Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit
so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity.
Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom the Law and the Gospel. And
behold! thou makest out of clay as it were the figure of a bird by My leave
and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave and thou
healest those born blind and the lepers by My leave. And behold! thou
bringest forth the dead by My leave.  And behold! I did restrain the
Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the
Clear Signs and the unbelievers among them said: `This is nothing but
evident magic'.
111.    "And behold! I inspired the Disciples to have faith in Me and Mine
Apostle: they said `We have faith and do thou bear witness that we bow to
Allah as Muslims'."

Sura 5. Al-Maida Section 14 (Y. Ali Commentary)
104:    c. 810. Cf. ii. 170. Where a Messenger of Truth comes to teach us the
better way, it is foolish to say: "What our ancestors did is good enough
for us."
105:    c. 811. The unity of the one Judge will do perfect justice to each
one's conduct, however different in form it may have appeared in this world.
106:    c. 812. Ordinarily this oath should be decisive, and the matter must
rest here. But if it gets known that the oath was false, other evidence may
be taken as in the next verse.
107:    c. 813. Istahaqqa = Deserved having something (good or evil)
attributed to one; hence the alternative meanings: (1) committed or was
guilty (of a sin): (2) had or claimed a lawful right (to property). The
procedure was followed in an actual case in the Prophet's life-time. A man
from Madinah died abroad, having made over his goods, to two friends, to be
delivered to his designated heirs in Madinah. They, however, kept back a
valuable silver cup. When this was found out, oaths were taken from those
who knew, and justice was done.
108:    No commentary available.
109:    c. 814. A scene of the Day of Reckoning is put before us in graphic
words, showing the responsibility and the limitations of the Prophets of
Allah, sent to preach His Message to men, with special reference to the
Message of Jesus. The Messengers are sent to preach the Truth. What
fantastic forms the Message takes in men's reactions to it was beyond their
knowledge, at the time, and beyond their responsibility.
110:    c. 815. In a solemn scene before the Court of Judgment, Jesus is asked
to recount all the mercies and favours shown to him, so that his followers
should become ashamed of their ingratitude in corrupting that Message, when
they could have done so much in profiting by its purity and spiritual
truth. This argument continues to the end of the Sura.
c. 816. Cf. ii. 87, and iii. 62, n. 401.
c. 817. Cf. iii. 46, and n. 388.
c. 818. Cf. iii. 48.
c. 820. Note how the words "by My leave" are repeated with each miracle to
emphasize the fact that they arose, not out of the power or will of Jesus,
but by the leave and will and power of Allah, who is supreme over Jesus as
He is over all other mortals.
c. 821. The Jews were seeking to take the life of Jesus long before their
final attempt to crucify him: see Luke iv. 28-29. Their attempt to crucify
him was also foiled, according to the teaching we have received: Q. iv. 157.
c. 822. According to Luke (xi. 15), when Christ performed the miracle of
casting out devils, the Jews said he did it through the chief of the
devils. i.e., they accused him of black magic. No such miracle of casting
out devils is mentioned in the Qur-an. But Moses, Jesus. and Muhammad were
all accused of magic and sorcery, by those who could find no other
explanation of Allah's power.
111:    c. 823. "Thou" refers to Jesus, who is being addressed by his
Disciples. Cf. iii. 52.
c. 824. Before or after Muhammad's life on this earth, all who bowed to
Allah's Will were Muslims, and their religion is Islam. Cf. iii, 52, and n.
392.