Subject:
          [beritamalaysia] Siva Kumar: 'Fees paid late on purpose'
     Date:
          Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:16:18 +0800
     From:
          "Y.W.Loke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
       To:
          "Berita Malaysia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      CC:
          "BMalaysia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://thestar.com.my/online/newsreport.asp?file=/2000/2/11/nation/1108jqju

.
asp&newspage=nation

Friday, February 11, 2000

'Fees paid late on purpose'
We had to thwart rival team, says Siva Kumar

By Jacqueline Ann Surin

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian team which went to Antarctica for the South

Pole Millennium Jump 2000 paid its participation fees late because it
did
not want the payment to be used by a rival group which had gone ahead.

Fikiran Syndicate's jump organising chairman G. Siva Kumar said the team

did not make the payment any sooner because "there was a rival group
headed
by Abdul Rahim Dahalan who was rushing there before us and who was
capable
of claiming that the payment was meant for them."

"We could have arrived in Punta Arenas (Chile) only to see an empty
airport," he said in a statement.

Siva Kumar was responding to reports quoting expedition scientist Dr
Paul
Borrill as saying that the Russians had told participants that the jump
at
the South Pole was cancelled because the Malaysians had not paid up on
time.

He said the Malaysian team paid up on Jan 10 after seeking a RM780,000
emergency loan from the Youth and Sports Ministry and the assistance of
the
Malaysian Embassy in Santiago, Chile, to ensure fast transfer of the
money.

"If late payment is being blamed, then technically the onus is on the
organisers for accepting the late entry of Malaysians on Dec 31 (when
the
Malaysians arrived in Punta Arenas)," he added.

Siva Kumar said it was not the team's fault that the expedition was
delayed
until Dec 31 pending the arrival of the Malaysians "as they (the
organisers) agreed to take us on board given our delay in getting
there."

He said the delay arose when a second team of skydivers had to be
assembled
after Abdul Rahim, the former expedition leader, led the first team to
"sabotage (the effort) at the last minute."

He said Fikiran Syndicate only had five days to assemble a replacement
team
and only proceeded on the journey after a Dec 27 confirmation by e-mail
from the American organiser, and phone conversations with the Russian
organiser.

The American organiser, Forum Expedition Inc's Bob Christ, has yet to
respond to e-mail queries about the aborted millennium jump over the
South
Pole.

Siva Kumar also refuted claims by the Russian organiser and
vice-president
of the Expedition Centre Arctica, Valera Beloussov, that the Malaysian
team
at Patriot Hills was in permanent contact with him in Punta Arenas.

In an e-mail interview, expedition participant and skydiver from the
Netherlands, Mous van Olphen, said the Russians promised a millennium
South
Pole jump in the beginning and that international participants were told
of
its cancellation in an e-mail dated Dec 9.

"The reason given was that not all the participants had paid on time but

later we found out that there was also the question of fuel storage at
Patriot Hills.

"The fact that the Malaysians came without money did not improve the
situation because it helped the Russians to lie to us, and it also
increased our costs in Punta Arenas because we had to wait for them to
arrive," she said.

She said she was still waiting to get her refund for the cancelled South

Pole jump from the Russians.

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.  Click Here!
http://click.egroups.com/1/1147/5/_/1812/_/950278264/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=beritamalaysia&m=1