Subject: [is-lam] Dealing With Anti Islamic Websites
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:26:01 +0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Assalamu'alaikum,

Dealing With Anti Islamic Websites
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yahya Abdul Rahman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

One of the downsides of the internet is that it has given our critics
and
enemies an opportunity to publicly defame the religion of Islam. I guess
this is the price of having freedom of speech. Sometimes you have to
read
and hear things which are just plain detestable.

The fact of the matter is that Islam has been defamed from the very
beginning by its enemies and this is not about to change anytime soon.
What's more, since Muslims are in a very weak position these days, the
amount of anti-Islamic propaganda is on the rise from many quarters. I
am
sure we have all encountered numerous websites which have slandered the
Prophet (pbuh), twisted the meaning of the Qur'an, attacked the
companions
of the prophet, etc. The more disturbing thing is the ease with which
millions of people now have access to this information as a result of
the
growth of the internet.

Our first reaction is to get angry and get all fired up with a zeal to
do
something about it when we find these offensive sites. It is indeed a
good
sign of strong faith if we get angry when our faith is under attack, and
may Allah always keep our faith in Islam strong.

One must keep in mind that for the most part, these people are
interested
in nothing more that to arouse feelings of hatred and fury against
Muslims
and generating poisonous feelings in the hearts of the readers. Some
websites are much more subtle, however, and criticize Islam in a more
"civilized" manner. Actually, this second kind of approach may be more
dangerous as they tend to leave the impression that they are honestly
seeking the truth, when in fact they are not.

I want here want to offer a few suggestions on dealing with these
anti-Islamic websites so we can more effectively counter this continuing
and mounting menace:

1) Keep your cool: As I said before, it is good to be angry when you see
Islam attacked, but keep your cool and act with a level head. When we
are
overly angry we cannot act rationally and thus we undermine our goals.
We
will do and say things which later on we will regret. For example, we
may
be tempted to attack the person's religion in a bad way which is not
permissible in Islam.

2) Don't write the webmaster back unless you are ready:  For the most
part
these people thrive on confrontation. They would love for you to respond
and are ready for a quick answer. Remember, many of these people know a
lot about Islam so if you are not ready for them they will soundly
defeat
you in any argument. Also, if you answer back but don't have the proper
knowledge you will end up making Islam and Muslims look worse. Some
webmasters actually post all responses on the website for all to read.
The
more silly the response then the more likely it will be placed on the
site. Please note, just because someone wins a particular argument does
not mean they are right. The loser may just not have all the information
on hand at the time of the argument.

3) Don't try to have the page removed from the internet: Many Muslims
try
to have the website removed from the internet altogether by writing the
company which hosts the site and complaining. In my opinion this is a
waste of time. Even if the host removed the site they can open up in a
few
days under another host, so our time is wasted on such efforts.

4) Don't publicize the site to others: One of the biggest mistakes we
commit is to tell others about the offensive website. All this does is
give the site owner free publicity which is what he/she wants. If you
see
an offensive site don't spread it all over the place as you are actually
helping the site owner when doing this.

5) Best defense is a good offense: Finally, the best defense against
anti-Islamic websites is to develop your own excellent website which
presents Islam in a beautiful and accurate manner. Many people are out
there searching for answers and more and more are turning to the
internet
to find these answers. Possibly they could visit your website and as a
result become Muslim. Also, other Muslims could use your site to get
information they need for dawah or research and Allah will reward you
for
providing this service. Even if you cannot start a website, you can at
least submit articles to existing websites which they can use so that
all
can get the benefit. Remember, you can play a valuable role in improving
the Islamic content on the internet. Don't wait for someone else to do
it.

I hope this advice helps. May Allah help us to be more effective in
defending Islam.

In the body of the message type in: "unsubscribe inin-net" (without the
quotation marks).