-------- Original Message --------
Subject: malaysiakini NEWS (July 25) Part 1
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:37:50 -0000
From: "Editor " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ANNOUNCEMENT

Excessive traffic into Malaysiakini has shut down our server in the
United States today (Monday, July 24). Our web host informed us that
its server is unable to handle the heavy flow of traffic, and thus we
are in the process moving the website elsewhere. Malaysiakini should
be back online in the next few days. We apologise for the unforeseen
problem. Meanwhile, here are today's news reports.

----------

Ezam: Keadilan backs `Judgment Day' rally
Kevin Tan

1.45pm, MON: Keadilan will support the demonstration popularly dubbed
as the "Judgment Day" rally in conjunction with former deputy
prime minister Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial decision on Aug 4.

According to Keadilan Youth head Mohd Ezam Mohamed Nor, the
party's youth wing brought up the matter during the supreme
council
meeting last week and it was discussed at length before the decision
was made.

"We decided to uphold the principle of freedom to assemble as
prescribed by the Federal   Constitution," he said.

"We not only support it, but we will do everything to ensure that
the rally will be successful and peaceful," Ezam added.

When asked by malaysiakini if Keadilan will apply for a police permit
to hold the rally as "advised" by Deputy Inspector-General of
Police Jamil Johari last Friday, Ezam said that they will only apply
for a permit if the police can promised that the application is
considered in an impartial manner.

"We will only apply if the police's decision is bound by the
Constitution and not influenced by the instructions from their
political masters," Ezam added.

Last Friday, Jamil said that the police will not allow any public
rally without a permit.

According to him, any public gathering without a police permit
is "illegal" and the police will take the "necessary
action" if
an "illegal" gathering is organised (`Judgment Day' rally
cannot proceed without permit, July 21).

Meanwhile, Keadilan vice-president Tian Chua said that the party will
hold a press conference in two days' time on the matter. He added
that the decision to back the rally is still being discussed in the
party.

"Although we had the supreme council meeting, we still need to
consult others," he said.

Last week, several pro-reformasi websites  carried a posting which
called on Anwar supporters to take leave on that day to assemble in
front of the Kuala Lumpur High Court to "witness the end of the
conspiracy planned by Dr Mahathir Mohamad." ('Judgment Day'
demonstration planned, July 19)

Anwar has repeatedly claimed, including at his summing up last week,
that the charges against him were planned by the prime minister as
part of a political conspiracy to topple him (Anwar) (Anwar allowed
to address court in summing up, July 17).

----------

PAS says `illogical' for police to ask for membership list
Ariani Rustam

2.30pm, MON: PAS Central Committee member Dr Hatta Ramli told
malaysiakini today that the party has no intention of providing the
police with its membership list, saying it is "illogical and
ridiculous".

Since the Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad was already making
allegations about the party's involvement, it is now up to the
authorities to prove those allegations, said Hatta. who is also
political secretary to PAS president Fadzil Noor.

The Home Ministry yesterday urged PAS to submit its full list of
members to assist the police in its investigations into the arms
heist incident involving Al-Ma'unah members.

Deputy Minister Zainal Abidin Zain said that through this process the
police will be able to "provide full details of PAS'
involvement" in
the heist as there were allegations that the Al-Ma'unah members
are also members of PAS.

Hatta added that if PAS were furnished with the names of the Al-
Ma'unah members, it would have been more logical.

PAS has about 400,000 registered members nationwide while Al-
Mau'nah's membership was reported to number about 1,800.

"There is absolutely no reason why PAS should surrender its
membership list," he added.

PAS will also apply for a court injunction to bar anyone from linking
the party to the arms heist incident in Sauk.

"We are at the final stages and we will file the application as
soon as possible," said Hatta.

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad last week had said that a majority
of the Al-Ma'unah group were also members and supporters of PAS.

He also alleged that they were "inspired and influenced" by
the Islamic party's ideology.

Umno's information chief, Mustapa Mohamad yesterday challenged
PAS to prove that it had no links with the group.

Fadzil said last Saturday that his party would take legal action
to "prohibit anyone from trying to poison the people's
thinking into hating PAS and linking it to the incident."

----------

IGP must give 'full and fair account of Sauk'
Ajinder Kaur

5.30pm, MON: Inspector-General of Police Norian Mai must stop giving
information about the Al-Ma'unah arms heist and killings "in
dribs and drabs with a lot of holes" to protect police
credibility,
DAP chairman Lim Kit Siang said today.

"The IGP should realise that this is the time when the police
must be able to maintain unquestioned public credibility of its
accounts, and that contradictions and inconsistencies in different
official accounts as to what actually happened, however minor, would
only undermine the credibility gap of the government in general and
the police in particular," Lim said in a press statement today.

He was commenting on Norian's special interview over RTM1
yesterday on the Sauk incident and threats to national security.

Norian said that the Al-Ma'unah group had planned to use the
Internet to declare jihad (holy war) against the government in a bid
to get support of other quarters to create widespread chaos in the
country.

Lim said that Malaysians who have been following closely news reports
and government announcements on the arms heist and killings will find
problems with the credibility of Norian's latest revelations because
of the contradictions and inconsistencies in the various official
accounts.

"What the police should do urgently is to give a full, fair,
impartial and authoritative account with regard to the arms heist, to
tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth and not tailored to
serve any vested political interests or the political agenda of any
ruling party of the day," he said.

Lim raised a few questions that he said should be answered.

"Norian in his interview talked about `three targets' for
the grenade attack. What is this third target apart from the reported
Carlsberg brewery and the Hindu temple at Batu Caves? Mingguan
Malaysia's Awang Sulung in his Sunday column Bisik-Bisik Mingguan
said that the Guinness brewery at Shah Alam was also shot at. Is this
correct?" Lim said.

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad had last Wednesday said that
several members of the Al-Ma'unah group, one armed with an M16
assault rifle equipped with a grenade launcher, fired at a brewery in
Shah Alam and a Hindu temple in Batu Caves but no serious damage was
caused because they were not skilful in handling the weapon.

Mahathir also said that the "group of between three and five people"
who carried an M16 rocket launcher out of Sauk in Perak have all been
caught and the weapon was seized in Sungai Petani, Kedah.

Meanwhile, Lim also urged Mahathir and Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah
Ahmad Badawi to direct immediate action by the government to bear
full higher education costs for the children of  Sgt R Segadevan, the
slain police detective in the arms heists killings.

Lim said that the two greatest concerns of Sagadevan's widow S
Maligga are getting justice for her husband and the educational
future of her four children, Mageswari, 24, Thanabalan, 22,
Poobaladevan, 17 and Kumaradevan, 13.

Lim visited the family in their home in Kuala Kangsar, Perak,
yesterday, together with other DAP leaders.

He proposed that the government set up a committee or appoint a
special officer to be responsible for the welfare of Segadevan's
family, in particular to look after the higher education needs of his
four children.

"I propose to visit Maligga and her children in Kuala Kangsar in
a fortnight's time, and I hope that by that time, concrete
arrangements would have been made by the government for the
educational needs of Segadevan's children," Lim said.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]