Alert #128
UNIVERSITY APOLOGIZES TO TULSA MUSLIMS
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 2/10/97) - Some 20-40 Bible students surrounded the
Islamic Center of Tulsa in the dead of night, Wednesday, February 5, placing
their hands on walls and doors. The students' leader claimed the group was
at the mosque to "pray for" the Muslims because they (mistakenly) believed
that evening to be Lailat ul-Qadr. Mosque officials called police who then
convinced the students to leave. CAIR supported the local Muslim community
in organizing a news conference to demand an apology and to call for strong
disciplinary action. The students' university today issued a formal apology.
RAMADAN MEDIA COVERAGE COAST-TO-COAST
Muslims are now setting their own agenda. Newspapers, radio stations,
television stations, and wire services from Hawaii to the Virgin Islands
offered stories quoting CAIR Ramadan materials. ABC's Good Morning America
Sunday, with CAIR's help, hosted an Imam to explain what Ramadan means to
millions of Americans.
How did we do it? Well before the beginning of Ramadan, CAIR mailed, faxed
and e-mailed copies of its 1997 Ramadan Media Kit to hundreds of media
outlets throughout the country. At the same time, CAIR Ramadan Publicity
Resource Kits, went to Islamic centers, mosques and Muslim activists.
MUSLIM EMPLOYEES' RIGHTS PROTECTED
Our office has been flooded with calls from hundreds of employers, civil
rights groups, Muslim employees, and equal employment opportunities offices
requesting the booklet "An Employer's Guide to Islamic Religious Practices."
On the first day of Ramadan, we issued this first-of-its-kind booklet giving
employers the information they need to understand Muslim workers and their
rights. The booklet deals with topics such as Islamic dress in the
workplace, minimum requirements for Islamic prayer, Muslim dietary laws, and
legal precedents for religious accommodation.
CAIR moves to meet any challenge. But we don't wait for a crisis to take
action.
* Because of its record of defending Muslim rights, a CAIR representative
was asked by the White House to join the civil liberties advisory panel set
up by the Commission on Aviation Safety and Security.
* CAIR took up, and won, many cases involving Muslim worker's right,
including the right to Islamic dress.
* CAIR challenged many forms of bias and stereotyping in the advertising and
entertainment industries.
* CAIR offers internships for Muslim youth in our Washington, D.C., office.
* CAIR professionals train Muslim communities nationwide in techniques of
media relations, public relations and voter registration. Call CAIR to
schedule a seminar.
As-salaam alaykum...Eid mubarak. May Allah accept your deeds. Taqabala
Allahu taatakum.CAIR is working to defend the image of Islam in this
countryc through public information and education. We need the help of all
the local communities in this effort. Our last campaign encouraged national
and local media outlets to cover Ramadan. Alhamdulillah it was very
successful.
Please assign one or more individuals to copy and distribute the attached
Action Alert at Eid prayers. This is the only way to get the community
involved in promoting its image. A MSWord 6.0 file of the Action Alert (46K)
is available upon request. May Allah reward you