LIZ CLAIBORNE RECALLS JEANS WITH VERSES FROM QURAN ON BACK POCKET
Company takes swift and effective action to remove jeans from the market
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 8/16/2000) - Alhamdulillah, CAIR announced today that Liz
Claiborne Inc. (NYSE: LIZ) is recalling a line of DKNY jeans deemed
offensive by Muslims because verses from the Quran (Sura Ya Sin) were
incorporated in its design. In a settlement with CAIR, the company also
agreed to:

offer an apology to Muslims worldwide,
institute changes to its design process,
conduct sensitivity training to prevent a similar incident from occurring in
the future, and 4) dispose of the recalled jeans as recommended by Islamic
scholars and consultants.

CAIR asked for the recall after receiving complaints about the jeans from
members of the American Muslim community. Muslims were particularly offended
that the Quranic verses (36:65-67) were printed on the back pocket of the
jeans. That would mean that those who wore the jeans would be sitting on the
verses. A delegation from CAIR met recently with Liz Claiborne officials in
New York City to discuss the incident. At that meeting, company
representatives explained the origins of the offensive design. They told
CAIR that it reflected a trend in uses of Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern
imagery. The design used on the jeans was purchased from an outside source
that misinformed the company that the text, apparently taken from a
photograph of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, had been rendered
"nonsensical."

A statement of apology issued by Liz Claiborne read in part: "We...offer our
sincere apology to the Muslim community worldwide for this unfortunate
mistake...We are profoundly sorry that any of our products reflected
insensitivity toward the Muslim faith, as this was certainly never our
intent."

"Liz Claiborne officials demonstrated their regret through the swift and
sensitive way in which they reacted to this unfortunate and apparently
unintentional incident," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. CAIR Board
Chairman Omar Ahmad added: "This case proves that any corporation dealing in
the international marketplace will increase its chances of success if it is
sensitive to diverse religions and cultures. We thank the members of the
Muslim community who contacted CAIR about this product."

The jeans, sold only in the United States, were shipped to stores in
February as part of the launch of the DKNY Jeans junior line. (Liz Claiborne
holds the license from Donna Karan International to manufacture and
distribute DKNY Jeans. Donna Karan, DKNY and Liz Claiborne have retail
outlets in Muslim majority countries such as Saudi Arabia, the United Arab
Emirates, Malaysia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Indonesia, and Lebanon.) In 1994,
designer Karl Lagerfeld apologized to Muslims worldwide for a low-cut dress
in his Chanel collection that was printed with a passage from the Quran. The
dresses were later destroyed. A similar incident in 1997 involved the recall
of a pair of Nike shoes that used a design resembling the Arabic word for
"Allah," or God.

To view the Liz Claiborne/DKNY jeans, go to:
http://www.cair-net.org/images/news/000001-pocket.jpg
http://www.cair-net.org/images/news/000001-jeans.jpg

http://profiles.msn.com.