AFP - 3 May 2001
Fifth airline stops service to Malaysia
Russia’s Aeroflot has become the fifth foreign carrier to halt services to
Malaysia’s main international airport since it opened in June 1998,
officials said Wednesday. Aeroflot’s twice-weekly services to Kuala Lumpur
International Airport (KLIA) stopped at the end of March, the airline’s
local cargo manager Zainal Abidin told Bernama news agency. Aeroflot
officials could not be reached for comment. Officials at the airport
confirmed the carrier had stopped its services.
Japan’s All Nippon Airways, British Airways, Qantas and Lufthansa have
also stopped flying to the futuristic KLIA, dealing a blow to efforts to
promote it as a regional aviation hub. Zainal, quoted by Bernama, blamed
consistently low yields in the last three years.
Aeroflot had been flying from Moscow to Kuala Lumpur via Singapore using
Ilyushin IL-96 aircraft with passenger capacity of just over 200 and cargo
space of about eight tonnes. It started flying to Malaysia 27 years ago.
Zainal said the flights to Singapore would continue. He said Aeroflot plans
to re-route flights from Moscow to Kuala Lumpur via New Delhi or Calcutta,
depending on whether Malaysian authorities would waive royalties when
allowing it to exercise fifth-freedom rights.
Walter Culas, chairman of the Airfreight Forwarders Association of Malaysia,
described the suspension of the Aeroflot services as Malaysia’s loss to
Singapore. He said Aeroflot’s cargo rates had been very competitive and
urged the government’s National Economic Action Council (NEAC) to
ivestigate why several foreign carriers had withdrawn.
On April 20 the government announced major cuts in charges to increase
business at the nine billion ringgit (2.4 billion dollar) airport, sited 50
kilometres (31 miles) south of Kuala Lumpur. It said new passenger flights
would be excused landing and parking charges for one year, as would extra
flights by airlines which already serve KLIA. Flights must be at least 25
percent full to qualify. The NEAC said Monday the airport would speed up
baggage handling and sort out taxi woes as part of attempts to become a
regional hub.

FAC News - 3 May 2001
Anwar to stick to his principles
Anwar Ibrahim yesterday refused to yield to political interference which had
complicated the treatment of his slipped disc injury.
In a letter to Kuala Lumpur Hospital’s Director, he expressed his
gratitude for the good care he has been receiving from the hospital so far,
but maintains that it is his right to choose the treatment of his choice.
This is a patient’s rights only - and even doctors cannot force a
treatment on a patient. Doctors could advise, but the decision remains with
the patient. Anwar said that if he were to be sent back to prison, he would
submit to the decision taken by the hospital.
Dr. Abdul Razak last week issued an ultimatum to Anwar - choose one of the
treatments offered by the government or be sent back to prison. However,
none of the treatments includes the minimally invasive and least risky
endoscopic surgery - a treatment of Anwar’s choice.
"My health should be of concern only to me and my doctors," said Anwar,
referring to various political interference from the ruling regime in order
to force him to accept the treatment as decided by the government.
"Please stop looking for excuses to force me to decide on an option that
would pose too great a risk on my wellbeing," he said further.
In his statement, Anwar had exposed how the panel of doctors had
acknowledged that the treatments of government’s choice actually pose a
higher risk than that of endoscopic surgery, which Anwar chooses.
Anwar also hit out at the vilification campaign carried out by government
ministers to smear him while he was not allowed to defend himself. Health
Minister and prison officials have lamented that ‘taxpayers’ money’
was wasted on Anwar in order to paint Anwar as an ungrateful ‘fat cat
convict’.
"He complained that 60,000 ringgit had already been spent on my treatment.
What’s the problem? Who prevented my immediate treatment?"
"The strange thing is that he does not seem to care a bit about the billions
wasted and lost through extravagant mega projects, allocation of shares to
the relatives and cronies of those in power and other forms of corruption,
which seem to be getting worse."
To the ridiculous allegations by Mahathir that Anwar would not return to
serve his sentence should he be allowed to travel to Germany for the
treatment, Anwar eloquently replied:
"I have crossed many stormy seas. I will return to join the people in their
strife."
Anwar also openly ridiculed Mahathir’s fear of him absconding, he said:
"I don’t give two hoots to Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir’s vitriolic outburst -
that I would not return. As usual, his minions would parrot him, word for
word."
" I have no stake in any corporation or bank, inside or outside the country,
no house in London, Vancouver or Florida, no condominium in Hong Kong, no
ranch in Argentina," clearly referring to Daim Zainuddin, Mahathir’s
alleged ranch in Argentina and various other corrupt government ministers.
"I want only to be treated with the minimum of risks and get well fast and
return, insya Allah."
In spite the intense pain Anwar has been suffering, he has not lost his wit
and political sharpness. He cynically remarked:
"So now they are hitting back at me, taking their cue, perhaps, from Tan Sri
Rahim Noor, assaulting a man who cannot defend himself, for he is shut out,
handcuffed and blindfolded."