Date: 5/28/2001 1:07 AM
 From: One Ummah Network
 To: null
 Subject: [One Ummah] - Human Development and Provisions for the Hereafter

 To: null
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 01:07:13 -0500
From: "One Ummah Network" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: null
Submission by: Tavis Adibudeen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Topic:                Human Development and Provisions for the Hereafter

Text:
With the Name of Allah, The Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer

Human Development and Provisions for the Hereafter

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

The Prophet said, "My similitude in comparison with the other prophets is that of a man who has built a house completely and excellently except for a place of one brick. When the people enter the house, they admire its beauty and say: 'But for the place of this brick (how splendid the house will be)!"

another narrations adds: "So I am that brick, and I am the last of the Prophets."

All praise is due to Allah who bestowed upon humanity a Mercy unlike any that came before or any that would come after, the Seal of the Prophets, the sender of the Message, our leader, the love of our hearts, Muhammad, upon whom be the peace and blessings of Allah.  He is the last of the Prophets, and no other message will come after the Message bestowed upon him by Allah, the Most High, through the angel Jibril (upon whom be peace).

One of the most important lessons that Muslims should draw from this Message, al-Qur'an, and from the example (sunnah) of Prophet Muhammed (saaws) is the concept of human development.  From the moment of conception, a human being begins his development.  This development continues until a person breathes his last breath.  What occurs in between these two brief moments is largely determined by a person's choices and actions.

In his very essence, the human being, (both male and female) is raw, pure, undisciplined, and untrained.  In Al-Islam, this concept is called Fitra.

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: No child is born but upon Fitra. He then said. Recite: The nature made by Allah in which He created man, there is no altering of Allah's nature; that is the right religion."
Fitra, in Arabic, means "nature (natural), disposition, constitution, temperament, innate character, instinct."  All of creation comes into existence in this state of Fitra.  Unlike other forms of creation, however, humans beings have within them the ability to leave this state of nature into something unnatural.

The struggle with oneself to return to this natural state (jihad an-nafs) and the process of turning over one's affairs to the Creator (Al-Islam) are therefore the keys to human development that one must acquire while on this earth.

Each Prophet that was sent from Allah was a lesson in human development.  The first one, Adam (upon whom be peace), was raw, unrefined, natural, and pure.  In this state, he represents the first stage in our human development.  Every Prophet after him was a step up the ladder of human development culminating in the best of humanity, Muhammed (saaws).  He is our model for human excellence.
"Certainly you have in the Messenger of Allah an excellent example for any who hopes in Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much." (Qur'an Surat al-Azhab - 33:21)
Our development as human beings hinges on our ability to understand our relationship to the Creator as his servants, our willingness to submit and return to a state of fitra, and our provisions for the hereafter.

Serving the Creator
"Seest thou not that it is Allah Whose praises all beings in the heavens and on earth do celebrate, and the birds (of the air) with wings outspread? Each one knows its own (mode of) prayer and praise. And Allah knows well all that they do." (Qur'an, Surat An-Noor 24:41)
Everything in creation is obedient to Allah, Most High.  Every star, every planet, every beast that walks the earth, roams the seas, or glides through the air knows a method of worshipping Allah.  It's method is it's nature, fitra.  A bird will not decide to stop being a bird.  It is against its nature and against what Allah created it to be.  It never leaves this nature and never has the desire to go outside of its limits.  Angels also share in this pureness and unconditional servitude to the Most High.  An angel's love and obedience to Allah is never questioned.

Unlike the majority of creation, however, human beings can turn away from Allah.  They can choose to disobey His commands, to stop loving Him, and to give up what is best in favor of what is wrong.  It is therefore a test from Allah that we have the choice between obedience to Him or obedience to our own desires.  Many times our desires appear more alluring than the commands of Allah.  Many times it may seem difficult to determine the truth.  For this, Allah sent messengers and prophets, one after another, with a common message of unity so that people might know the clear and straight path.  The Message was that there is only one God.  These prophets were also warners of the punishment that would come for not serving Allah alone and also the givers of glad tidings for the rewards that believers would receive in the life after.

Returning to Fitra

"If anyone desires a religion other than Al-Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good)." (Qur'an, Surat Alee Imran 3:85)

In order to truly return to our natural state, human beings must ultimately submit to Allah (Al-Islam).  More than just a religion, al-Islam is a complete way of life that encompasses every aspect of our being.  It is, therefore, not sufficient for someone who has adopted the path of serving the Creator (Islam) to simply say "I am Muslim."  He must, rather, display this in his words, actions, thoughts, and deeds.

Crucial to this concept are the intentions.  A Muslims intentions go hand and hand with his deeds.  A Muslim who prays, fasts, gives charity, etc. but does not intend to serve Allah in doing so, will have no reward from Allah in the hereafter.  Intentions must, therefore, be sincerely for seeking the pleasure of Allah and not associating any partners with Him, highly glorified and exalted is He.

Returning to fitra means shedding off the alluring traps of this world that are set to snare us and pull us away from the service of Allah.  Al-Islam must become our lives, and any other permissible thing must become secondary or rather should become viewed within the context of Islam.  For example, a Muslim is allowed to earn a living, but that earning must now be viewed within the context of Islam.  He should earn his living by lawful means, use the utmost courtesy and kindness, use his money for lawful activities, and spend in charity.  In this way, there is ample opportunity for purification.

The human development and return to fitra encompasses our physical, mental, and spiritual make-up.  Most are easily able to acquire the physical fitra, and the mental fitra can be reached through thikr (remembrance of Allah) during one's daily activities and through the seeking of knowledge of both religious sciences and of other disciplines.  The spiritual fitra, however, is much more alluding to the average seeker.  One must ultimately spend his life making provisions for the hereafter to achieve it.

Provisions for the Hereafter

All human beings agree that this life is temporary and will ultimately end in death.  Anyone who disagrees with this is in obvious denial.  Where those who have faith differ from those who do not is what happens after death.  For those who believe in Allah, there is a life after death in which human beings will be judged and rewarded/punished according to their life on earth.  While our current life is extremely short, the next life does not end.  It is therefore, imperative that we make provisions for the next life even if it is at the expense of this life.

Preparation for the next life has varying degrees according to the individual.  While for some it means only practicing the essentials (prayer, fasting, etc.) others cling to mysticism and asceticism.  Al-Islam generally falls somewhere in between these two extremes.

The first step in this process is to remove the love of this life from one's heart.  One must become content with love only for Allah even if one must come to despise the life of this world (although it need not escalate to that point).
"Those who love the life of this world more than the Hereafter, who hinder (men) from the Path of Allah and seek therein something crooked: they are astray by a long distance." (Qur'an, Surah Ibrahim -14:3)
The person who seeks provisions for the hereafter should treat this world as though he was a journeyman only briefly passing through it on his way to another destination.  He should pack his bags lightly and not engage in chasing after this life and ignoring the ultimate and inevitable return to his Lord.  Every act and deed should be in preparation for his destination.  Why would he prepare and plan for a place that is only a stopping station along the way to his true destination?  Instead his mind should remain focused on his destination and toward seeking it.

He should not shun this world so as to disrespect Allah's creation and should not cling to this world so as to ignore his final destination.  He should remember death often, for it is the inevitable truth that awaits us when we will be covered with the dust that we now clean from ourselves.  When free from his legitimate duties, he should remember Allah often, standing, sitting, lying down, and riding.  He should find pleasure in doing good deeds and find himself disgusted when committing wrong deeds.  He should seek forgiveness often and turn to Allah in repentance even for the smallest of offenses.  He should treat others with kindness and not neglect his love ones.  He should pay close attention to his prayers and not neglect any of their intricacies.  His preparation will never be complete, and he should never become so satisfied with himself that he feels no need to improve upon his human development.

Our development as individuals and as an Ummah ultimately depends upon our choices and actions.  Our success in this life and in the hereafter must be based upon our submission to and love for Allah and our suppression of our own desires.  Provisions for the life after should naturally become a part of our daily lives so that even our everyday actions are for the sake and pleasure of only Allah, Most High.  May Allah guide us to the right path, provide us with sustenance for human development, and bestow on us the keys to salvation and everlasting Paradise.  May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the last Prophet, upon his family, upon his righteous companions, and upon his devout followers.

One Ummah Network
"And verily, this Ummah of yours is One Ummah, and I am your Lord; therefore fear only Me." (Qur'an 23:52)

E-mail: ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Online Islamic Library: (http://www.1ummah.org/library/
Free E-mail Service: (http://mail.1ummah.net)
Send message to mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The views expressed on One Ummah Information do not necessarily coincide with the views of One Ummah Network, with the Islamic Unification Movement, or its supporters. All the works presented by this service are properties of their authors unless otherwise stated.  This list is moderated, and One Ummah Network reserves the right to reject any submissions.