NEWS

Print version of this story

Tuesday June 5

Hadi on his 'decree' and other controversies
Zakiah Koya

7:40pm, Tue: exclusive Continuing from yesterday’s feature, Terengganu Mentri Besar Abdul Hadi Awang tells malaysiakini about the current challenges he faces in governing the state that the opposition party PAS (of which he is deputy president) wrested from Barisan Nasional in the 1999 general elections.

What is your opinion of the role of women in the community?

Women are a part of the community. They should not only be given a role in the home but also in politics and economy, provided that it does not affect their role in the home and their role in educating children.

If that is your opinion, then why is PAS still hesitant to nominate women candidates in elections?

As a matter of fact, in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, PAS did nominate women candidates in the general elections and in the parliamentary area of Marang itself there was one woman member of Parliament, the late Khadijah Sidek.

In the 1980s, we decided to make some changes when we realised that the system of democracy practised had become disrespectful. This discourteousness started in 1969 when the Umno Youth introduced a group of thugs called ‘hardy youths’. The people then knew about this group of ‘hardy youths’ who created havoc.

Then there was the attitude of the people ignorant on the ideas of democracy, who burdened the women representatives with unreasonable demands - it was the people’s representative who had to send a woman in labour to the hospital, it was the people’s representative who had to settle disputes and quarrels...

We felt that these demands would be too much for a woman people’s representative to handle. Therefore, we did not nominate but appointed women to the Lower House of Parliament (Dewan Rakyat) as senators and in town councils. Of the four seats in the Dewan Rakyat given to us, three are occupied by women.

God willing, when we rule the country, we will appoint more women and women will also be nominated as candidates. We will make changes to provide more active roles for women.

We are not nominating women in elections for now because of how Umno has discredited the system of democracy by burdening the women representatives. For example, debates in Parliament are more like shouting matches.

Does that mean that no Muslim woman posseses ‘leadership’?

It is not that. As a matter of fact, there are more capable women now than before. There were not many Muslim women intellectuals and professionals, whereas now there are hundreds of them in PAS women wing.

What is the response of the PAS women wing towards this ‘protection’?

The PAS women wing accepts the reasons for the decision and works hard. The machinery of the PAS women wing in Kelantan and Terengganu is in fact more active than the men’s, for example, in going from house to house to get votes. If they had objected to the decision (not to field women candidates), they would not have worked hard during the elections.

What do you think of the PAS women wing members who are insisting that PAS should field women candidates come the next election?

That is the right of the Muslim women wing to present their views and this view will be forwarded to the Ulama Advisory Council, referred to the Political Committee and Election Committee and then studied from its Islamic rule and political implications as we do not separate religion from politics. A part of the political committee is also part of the Ulama’ Advisory Council. The women will not be segregated from the decision-making process.

What is your opinion of PAS being a part of the alternative front (Barisan Alternatif)?

The cooperation between the parties of BA must exist to take over the government of Malaysia. We cannot win in isolation. PAS cannot win by itself, looking at today’s situation. So is the case with Keadilan and DAP.

Is the cooperation now strong enough?

The cooperation is getting stronger but we are not hurrying it but strengthening it step by step.

How does the Terengganu state government handle criticism by DAP towards its policies?

The issue is played up by the media. What happens is that whenever there is unhappiness and confusion, DAP and our Chinese counterparts would hold dialogues with us and we would clarify the matters. They have always accepted our explanations.

What about the Indian minority?

The Indians in Terengganu are a very small number and they too follow the developments taking place. The percentage of Indians is too small and they are represented by their local leaders.

The proposal to accept non-Muslims as associate members was warmly welcomed by non-Muslims. Is PAS going to open its doors to non-Muslims?

We feel that the existence of non-Muslim members in DAP and Keadilan is enough and as we are a coalition, we do not want to compete for members. So, the issue of taking in non-Muslims does not arise as Keadilan and DAP are the platforms for the non-Muslims to fight for change. This is the better way.

Tell us about the changes introduced by the state government in the education sector.

Education is dictated by the Education Act which allows the minister of education to monitor all the institutions. Up till today, we are seeing the effects of the education act - corporatisation and quota problems.

We have tried to instil the Islamic spirit into the existing education institutions. They teach worldly subjects but with the spirit of Islam. We also freed the students from paying interests for their loans. When we received a part of the royalty early last year, we increased the numbers of those who receive study loans. When the royalty was hijacked, the government had to do all it can to continue the loans.

What are the ways to ensure students do not fall out due to financial problems? We ask them to be thrifty. We are also using the Darul Iman Fund. The belt is tight but we are still breathing.

Does the state government assist the private and traditional religious schools?

Yes, the Islamic Religious Council and Islam Foundation assist these schools.

What do you think about the quota issue?

I am of the opinion that quota should be allocated to the one who needs it most. Today, the Malays are the poorest, so the concentration of quota is for the Malays. Not because the student is a Malay but because he or she needs it most.

The Chinese for now have assistance from their associations and NGOs. However, if the poor Malays improve in their circumstances and the Chinese is poor economically, then the quota should be allocated to the latter.

How does Terengganu handle the lack of media publicity?

The mainstream television stations such as TV1, TV2 and TV3 and newspapers controlled by Umno prefer to highlight the negative aspects. Due to the overwhelming negative publicity, the people have refused to wholly believe the ruling government. So this backfired and led us to win Kelantan and Terengganu.

What are the ways to show the real situation to the people outside of Terengganu?

We encourage tourism. Come and see for yourself. We hope that those who have come here will relate what they have seen to those who could not come.We also have our website.

What are the changes introduced in the tourism sector?

We ban entertainment that is against the principles of Islam, for example the Batu Buruk Festival, during which many robberies had happened. After we came to power, the festival died off naturally. The people have realised its negative values and support us now. Then there are the entertainment festivals during the Sultan of Terengganu’s birthday, which encourage unhealthy activities. Now those festivals do not take place any more. Thus it is obvious that they were not organised by the Sultan.

Have all these restrictions affected the tourism industry?

The number of tourists is in the millions, even though we have ordered the chalets not to sell liquor. MAS has had to make extra flights. Tourists come to visit the most beautiful islands in the world, such as Pulau Kapas and Pulau Redang. They also visit the markets and they tell me business is good. During school holidays, the roads are jammed and in my own village, the fishermen make good money selling harvest of the sea.

We observed that the cleanliness in the town area of Kuala Terengganu leaves much to be desired to attract tourist to repeat visits.

We have ‘inherited’ town council workers who have been offered the job due to their political ties and because they worked hard campaigning during elections. There are also temporary workers who are taken in while the permanent workers are outside managing other businesses. The permanent staff also collect their paychecks. If you want to manage businesses, fine, but do not collect the paychecks as well. So, when we came to power, we did some transferring here and there, to get rid of this culture. It takes time to change the attitude.

I myself conduct motivational courses. Every Thursday morning, I deliver a talk at the Wisma Negeri Hall to the state civil officers. The response has been encouraging and during my lectures in the Bandar mosque, I also motivate the thousands who came.

Please explain how the ‘Hadi Decree’ came about.

I never came out with any decree. Actually it was just an excerpt from a speech that I gave at a function in Banggol Peradong, Marang. The police had surrounded the area and as I was a young man in my 30s, I was very emotional. Sometime later, the chief minister then read out the excerpt in Parliament. This excerpt was then made into a document which they called the ‘Hadi Decree’. We call this tactic as ‘Umno recycling PAS’ rubbish’.

What do you think about being placed at the 7th spot in the Power 50 summation by Asiaweek?

That is Asiaweek’s opinion. If it is Mingguan Malaysia, I may the 300th, Berita Minggu, perhaps the 700th! What is important to me is that I am able to send out my message loud and clear and carry out my responsibilities. It doesn’t matter who determines the marks.

Are you IT-savvy?

Before I took on this job, I have been carrying my laptop everywhere, and I have been studying Islam through IT. Wherever I go, I bring along a few CDs only, instead of books that can fill a trailer.

Tell us your daily activities as a Mentri Besar.

I have many guests every day, I complete my file work at nights when there are no ceramahs.

Do you feel that it is difficult maintaining your role as a spiritual teacher since becoming a MB?

It is difficult especially when I have to acknowledge the army who is responsible for my security even though I am from the opposition. I appreciate the police.

The village folk feel that is a bit strange. They all call me 'Ayah chik' - the kids, the old folks... they do not call me MB or YB.

What do you do in your free time?

I often go to the sea, to fish and to the hill side, to befriend the fisherfolk. Even now, when I have time, I take a boat with them and they are very happy if I follow them.

You are wearing a neck brace; are you suffering from neck pains?

It is due to an accident two years ago. Only now I feel it. My arms also feel the pain. The hospital detected from a scan that I have problems in my neck area and I needed treatment. Surgery would be dangerous; perhaps I might have to go to Germany, maybe I will not be allowed to go. I think (Prime Minister) Dr Mahathir would not give me permission (in jest).

About Anwar, what about the treatment that has been denied him?

If an elephant in the jungle is sick, the government would be willing to provide a helicopter and medical staff to treat it so I don’t see why a human being should not be given the same treatment. Even if we are angry or hate this person, we must provide him with medical attention. Islam asks of us to sympathise with the sick, even if he or she is a non-Muslim. And Anwar is a Muslim. I consider this a cruelty.

Are you sure that PAS and BA can retain Terengganu in the coming elections (2004)?

We have received very good response from the rakyat. Members of Parliament, state representatives and I go down to the people and listen to their problems and this is one of the best ways to maintain our victory. If God is willing, we will win the next elections.

Hadi on Islamic state and oil royalty controversy
Titi.net

Last modified:Tuesday June 5, 8:09 pm

COUNTERBALANCE.ANYWHERE.ANYTIME.ANYBODY.ANYONE.COM

Do You Yahoo!?