An Open Letter To The World
I wish I can say that those who die in my
land rest in peace, but they don't...
By Ramzy Baroud
Editor-in-Chief
PalestineChronicle.com
3-23-2

I am not much of a letter writer, but I know that the
most basic
prerequisite in writing a letter is having a
recipient, one, two or several.
Yet while I know exactly what I want to say, I don't
know to whom I should
address my letter, for all of those who received my
pleas in the past have
failed me. Therefore, I decided to write to the world,
the whole world.

Years are passing, and with every day in every year,
my people
suffer. I know that the word suffering has been used
so very often, so much
that it no longer moves us. But suffering from a
headache is much different
than suffering from death, torture and despair.

For over 50 years my people have endured untold
anguish, through no
fault of their own, so that a prophesy of another
nation might be realized,
so that the promise of a superpower might be
fulfilled.

My people's land was taken away from them at gunpoint.
To the dismay
of my grandfather, a faithful farmer whose kindness
was the talk of his
village, he was forced to take his family and flee.
The family's old donkey
couldn't make it for long, and so my grandpa carried
his children on his
back, escorted by his wife to a place that later
became a refugee camp.

It was there, in the refugee camp where my grandfather
lived, and
died, where his wife, lived and died, where my mother
lived and died, and
were many of my friends were killed in ways you cannot
imagine. Some were
kids, others were not. But they all managed to return
to the camp's
graveyard, where many people dear to me always meet.

I wish I can say that those who die in my land, 'rest
in peace',
because they don't. Not only because Israeli soldiers
(for whatever reason)
often seek to steal the bodies of those whom they kill
and to take them away
to Israel, but if those alive cannot rest in peace,
fancy the dead.

My people are traumatized and oppressed. Misery has
even made their
superstitions unique in some ways. For instance, when
my people laugh, they
often end their laughter with the plea "may God be
merciful in what will
come next."

In my camp, if we see a child running, we always
assume that he is
being chased by soldiers. I remember, with a smile,
how one day I was late
to school so I ran, fearing the teacher's wrath. To my
surprise, I found
hundreds of people running with me. They thought that
the soldiers and
settlers were assaulting the camp and chasing behind
me. Yet in my youthful
ignorance, I thought that they were all late for
school.

With memories such as this, in the poorest spot on
earth, we grew
and blossomed from children into strong men and women,
and we became a proud
nation. And despite everything we remain proud. They
siege our camps and
kill our young, and we remain proud; they insult our
elders, humiliate our
mothers and sisters, and we remain proud; they
imprison our youth, deprive
the wounded from treatment leaving them to perish in
the streets, shut down
our schools, mass murder our refugees, send us into
exile, practice all
forms of racism against us, and yet we remain proud.

Our pride is our last asset. We are Palestinians and
all that was
left is our pride.

The virtue of our struggle has reached the whole
world, south and
north, yet nothing was done to bring us justice. In
South Africa, those who
fought against apartheid identified with us and we
identified with them. We
taught many oppressed nations how to resist
oppression. Our traditional
scarves, a symbol of freedom, is being wore by
activists all across Europe,
North America and the world; our struggle always finds
its way to the
sincere heart anywhere across the globe. But little
has been done to end our
suffering.

We took our case to the United Nations, and the
justness of our case
prevailed over the pressure of all superpowers; yet
while many recognize our
rights in freedom, justice, human rights,
independence, protection, right of
return, the United States blocks all attempts to
implement international
law, defending Israel as it has done for decades.

We took our case to each and every country in the
world. Morally,
the support we garnered was limitless, but the
political pressure, the
'balance of powers', and a long list of excuses failed
to provide us with
much tangible support.

We took our case to the streets, as we have done for
years, we
displayed our anger, the pictures of our dead, we
vowed to carry on with our
fight for freedom, to return to our homes, to attain
the true peace we
deserve, and to live with dignity, the proud people we
always are, and shall
always be.

..And now we take our case to you, whomever you are,
as long as you
are a human being with a conscience and a heart. The
world's governments
have failed to uphold the principals of justice and
the laws that they have
created. But as a faithful people, we Palestinians
still have faith in the
people of this world.

Please take a stand; it's a moral responsibility that
you can no
longer be afraid to embrace; Palestinians conquered
their fear many years
ago when they stood before the fourth largest army in
the world, one with
nuclear capabilities that can destroy half of the
globe in a glimpse, with
bare chests and sling shots.

It's time that the whole world conquers its fear and
embraces its
humanity, my people did, and we ask you stand with us.