Assalamualaikum Dr. Farish Nor,

I am Abdul Rahman Abdul Talib.  I was one of the questionee last night
at Sin Chew Jit Poh.

I would like to comment on one of your point regarding the "sucsess" of
past Islamic Empire.

You mentioned that the key sucsess factor is the secular system being
implemented in that the religous and executive aspect of the gorvenrmnet
is SPERATED.

I would like to bring your attention to a book written by Muhammad
Khalid Masud  entitle " As Shaitibi's Philosophy Of Islamic Law"
published by Islamic
Research Institute -ISlamabad 1995.
The edition I have is reprinted by Islamic Book Trust, Petaling Jaya
Malaysia.

He starts the book by explaining the political and governmental
structure of the Ummayya Khilafah in Spain before, during and after the
time of
Al Imam Asy Syaitibi rhm.

On page 33, Muhammad writes:

"The historian of muslim Spain do not forget to point out the power of
fuqaha( ulama, jurists), in the political affairs as a trait of muslim
history of Spain"

On page 35 he writes:

" FUQAHA acheived political power mainly by controlling vital offices in

the political system, institutions of learning and
intellectual movements."

On the point of institution of learning, he writes in page 37:

" The institution of learning in the Andalus was completely in the hands

of fuqaha"

In other words, your claim of ulama being sideline as the MAIN factor of

sucsess of the ISlamic
empire for the last 1400 yearsa really baffles me.

As a reference to the Islamic State of the Prophet SAW and his
Chaliphate, there is a clear example
that the ulama and umara' institution was grouped into one.

And there is no question of living in the past for the past provides a
guidance to the future.

The problem with your statement is the usage of the term secularism.  In

actual fact, secularism is only known to the Islamic world through Kamal

attaturk.  He, being a drunk and a womanizer himself, was the instrument

of the Zionist and British to
destroy thr Ottoman Empire from within.

You have confused the concept of SPECIALIZATION and SECULARISM.

The Ulama palys a vitla role in LAW MAKING and JUDICIAL INTERPRETATION
of laws.

In Spain, they were also in charge of the economic affairs of the state.

They were even given the role of minting coins
for the consumption of the state.

The role that ulama play in Islamic empire all through 1400 year was so
SIGNIFICANT for the state cannot function without
the role of ulama.  They play INDESPENSABLE role in the running of the
state starting from the time of the Chalipate until now.

In modern secular state, the role of ulama is basically MEANINGLESS and
has no part or little part in the decision making of
the state.  This explains how SCREWD up the muslim world is right now
including Malaysia.  Those whom had praised MAlaysia before does so when

Anwar was still in cabinet.  If you ask them now, they have nothing but
insult to Dr. MAhathir/

There is very little to be proud of from our economic achivements when
more than 50% of equity in MAlaysia is owned by
NON MUSLIMS.  Where is the ISLAMIC PROGRESSIVE-ECONOMIC example of the
ISLAMIC STATE OF Malaysia that you had mentioned last night??.

The fall of Ottoman empire is when they decided to DISCARD the role of
ulama from political life completely. The process was known as AT
TANZIMAT.

I am really appalled by the misinformation you had provided to the NON
MUSLIMS audience that they now have a perverted version of the ISLAMIC
state.

You need to get your facts straight before you speak to them again, my
advice being.

Abdul Rahman Abdul Talib