Oops, I guess that was as clear as mud.. ;)

What we wanted to accomplish was this:
- have an animated, transparent thing that our mappers could use for
effects like swaying grass or brush or reeds or whatever
- we thought about sprites, but the engine draws them at 90 degrees to
the player's viewpoint at all times, so they pivot (which isn't quite
what we wanted)

Instead, what we came up with was a scheme where the mappers specify
the origin and angles of the sprite in the BSP, and I shoot a message
for each of these entities from server to client.

Using the origin and angle information, along with the sprite name, I
load the sprite file (on the client), draw a poly four corners of the
sprite (after getting the size of the sprite from the file), texture it
with that sprite, and then rotate it appropriately in space. I also
advance the frame every now and then, in accordance with the framerate
specified in the BSP.

Then, we end up with some swaying grass that while purely 2D, if placed
cleverly by the mappers (a few of them overlapping and at angles to
each other), gives us a sort of effect of a field of swaying grass....

I don't know if what you're trying to do could be approached with a
similar scheme or not.. and I sometimes wonder if what we did would be
better done with some models or something, but that was one solution we
came up with :D

We still haven't had any decent test maps done up using this scheme, so
I don't know how useful it will end up being, but I was kinda bored one
weekend, and gave this a try.. :D