[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
I know this isn't the best place for this question, but I have posted in every
forum known to man (well, most of them) and have been unable to get an answer.
As a matter of fact, most of my replies boiled down to "Ask Valve" :p

What I am working on is a model decompiler, like the one that comes with
MilkShape but standalone (and yes, I've already tried the MS forums and
e-mailing the programmer).  Everything has been going great, except SMD
extraction.  Both reference and sequence data.  The studiomdl code has been an
excellent aid thus far, but I am befuddled when it comes to "reversing" the
code that generates and stores the triangles and vertices for reference SMDs
and the code that compresses the data for sequence SMDs.  Every time I try a
new algorithm, it simply gives me different yet wrong vertex and triangle data
(I haven't even touched the sequence SMDs yet).  I'm almost positive I'm
interpreting the studiomdl code correctly, but if I was, then it would extract
correctly too.

All I need is a diagram or even a description of how the reference
data/triangles/vertices are stored and how the sequence data is
compressed/stored.  I will be able to write all the code.

This is really that last place I have to turn.  No one knows anything about
the MDL format, and the only man that would (MS Creator) is nearly impossible
to get in touch with.