ladies and gentlemen of the jury, please direct your attention towards
monsters.cpp, line 1065:
        if ( !FVisible( pEnemy ) )
        {
                ASSERT(!HasConditions(bits_COND_SEE_ENEMY));
                SetConditions( bits_COND_ENEMY_OCCLUDED );
        }
        else
                ClearConditions( bits_COND_ENEMY_OCCLUDED );

I looked up the definition for ASSERT, which was #define ASSERT(f) . I
don't know what that does so it scares me.

Am I correct in guessing that the above snippet of code checks (if the
enemy is visible) if the monster currently sees the enemy, and if so, turns
COND_ENEMY_OCCLUDED on? And what would that be used for, and why?

AI confuses me.

-geoff c