> I just wanted to get the opinions of some respected programmer
> to know if lowering your screen resolution will help reduce
> your ping and hopefully get a simply explaination why.

Unless you're running the server yourself (in which case, less
time spent rendering = more time spent serving data), I can't
believe it would have an effect.

> I personally think it does make a difference, but the person
> I've spoken to about it points out that rendering for graphics
> is client side. But i know that things off screen aren't
> completely sending information to the client since they aren't
> being rendered

That's just the Vis information: for every part of the map, vis
has calculated what you can and can't see. It doesn't care about
resolution.

> and that I'd imagine this extends to distant obects which
> wouldn't be rendered at lower resolutions and thus reduce the
> network traffic a bit as if it was off screen.
>
> Any thoughts folks?

AFAIK, the server doesn't get told what resolution you're running
at, so it can't possibly send you different information based on
that.

I think you're probably seeing the improved graphics performance,
and confusing it with improved network performance. Which is fair
enough, since they look pretty similar.

--
Laurie Cheers