There should be no problems with opening a socket (udp or tcp) from a
3rd party plugin. The only thing to worry about is blocking for too long
when reading from the socket (and potentially writing). Make sure the
socket is non-blocking and do a zero time select() to poll the socket
for data to read.

Brian A. Stumm wrote:
perhaps this would have been better for teh apps list, if so please tell
me ;)

Ok so I've been told that adding another connection or socket to a hlds
server is not a good thing to do. Is this true and why? By socket I mean
via one of the engine->hook->mod methods (ie botman/metamod/et al). Is
it worse depending on tcp vs udp?

I'm looking for a way to send data to an external parser without spamming
the console. I'm talking about a fair amount of data coming out fairly
often. By that I mean a few updates a second with data pertinent to player
coordinates and current player status ie health, armor, current weapon,
etc.

And if a secondary socket is out of question anyone have any ideas on
alternate ways to retrieve this data? dump to db perhaps? Or would that
socket connect to the db server be just as evil?

Thanks.