> Im lost... Why did he not change his password?

1) Judging from Gabe's post, Valve found out AFTER 9/11 they had been hacked.  They
looked through their mailserver access logs, compared those with Gabe's travel
schedule, and determined that someone other than Gabe had been in his e-mail

2) Further down you can see that keyloggers had apparently been installed on Valve
employee machines.  I would take a wild guess and say that Gabe's e-mail was accessed
with a password retrieved by the keylogger.  So even if he changed it, that would help
much.  That's just my guess though.

>>I would politely request that people on this list refrain from giving out
>>information to help other people gain from Valve's loss.<<

Point taken, I'll shut up now.