voogru wrote:

The only problem I had was if I set the sv_maxvisibleplayers to the real
"effective" max player count, basically it won't let players join even
though there's another slot avail. Kind of defeats the purpose of the
cvar altogether.

Actually it doesn't since this is the precise purpose of the cvar. The cvar is there to hide server slots from normal players in the built-in game browser. So that when you reserve slots and set the cvar to maxplayers minus reserved slots only the value of the cvar will show in the browser. This results in the client not even trying to connect to that server. The idea behind it is to prevent people from getting annoyed when they try to join a server just to get kicked again immediately since there was no slot for *them* to join into.

Users with reserved slot previledges can still join the server via
the console, via a desktop shortcut or via any of the third-party
server browsers that handle this differently. So setting the cvar
prevents Joe Player from getting confused and annoyed while still
allowing the advanced player/admin to join his server into a
reserved slot.

Florian