Tom Grim wrote:
We were successfully able to reproduce getting a
"bugged" player on  Counter-Strike, DoD, and HLDM in
Steam. Additionally, we were able to recreate it in
Counter-Strike 1.5 and HLDM in Won Half-Life also
(didn't try DoD).

I know CS uses 9 point blending, I believe DoD does as well. I'm not sure if HLDM uses 9 point blending under Steam (I know it didn't before Steam came along).

I remember Alfred and Eric describing a problem with 9 point blending
where client hit boxes wouldn't be synched up properly with server hit
boxes (where hits are really determined).

Also I remember discussions on thewavelength.net about 9 point blending
having problems with players that are moving rapidly (that may have been
linked to players who rapidly switch from one gaited animation to a
different gaited animation).  The client side prediction of skeletal
bone locations (which determine hit box locations) didn't seem to match
up with the server's calculations for any MOD who had very high speed
player movement.  CS movement is relatively slow (compared to
deathmatch), so they descrepency between the client and server wouldn't
be as much since the players couldn't move that far in space over a
small amount of time.

Perhaps there is something about the order of the players in the server
that is determining when client/server data is replicated to the other
side (i.e. the higher the client index, the more that player gets
"starved" of network replication.  Of course, if this were true, you
wouldn't see this problem at all with the last player on a 2 player
server and you would see it 100% of the time with the last player on a
32 player server.

--
Jeffrey "botman" Broome