This is a overkill sugestion, so maybe you can ignore this:

Maybe you can try to use the FREE "visual c++ toolkit 2003", that is the
optimizer compiler, withouth GUI, only command line. But you can force
any legal copy of VC to run with this, search the net for tutos to adapta
 vc ide to other stuff.

<readme>
Use the free Visual C++ Toolkit to build your ISO C++ Standard code, to
evaluate new compiler features, and to get a feel for some of the
capabilities included with Visual Studio .NET 2003.    The tools and
libraries included with the Toolkit are a subset of the features and
capabilities of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional.  Buy Visual Studio
.NET 2003 Professional and get a full Integrated Development Environment
(IDE), an award-winning debugger, additional C++ libraries including ATL
and MFC, and much more.
</readme>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd.lib...

try 500 unresolved externals.

I formatted not long ago, installed vs6 sp 5
downloaded sdk2.3, compiled it and set it up for the debugger
put one line of code in to crash it pPlayer=NULL then I  deferenced pPlayer
and it gives me a mscvr70 error and wont point me to the line. How the hell did
it ever work? Nothing has been changed from default settings. So bascily if my
game crashes, I'm fucked because I dont know where or why it crashed. I have
over 10,000 new lines of code in my game easy, so I really do need the debugger
to work.

I cant afford microsoft’s premium prices so ill have to get an illegal version
of .net. Its just a pain in the ass for nothing because 6.0 was working fine
and I even own a legal copy.

Quoting cosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

so...did you try /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd.lib ?
:)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

That seems logical but it did not work for me, i guess ill just have to

find a

copy of .net

however i do get this build warning

LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBCMTD" conflicts with use of

other libs;

use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

I think that has something to do with it. I got that warning when i

added

msvcrt.lib to the link text box

Quoting cosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

hey,

i already went through the trouble of finding out why my projects
always
need that damn msvcr70.dll and not the default msvcrt.dll

well the solution is quite simple.

the msvcrt.lib that comes with vc++6 references to the *default*
msvcrt.dll (every operating system since windows 95 should come with
it)

but the msvcrt.lib that comes with vc++7 references to the
msvcr70.dll.

and i heard that visual studio 2003's msvcrt.lib references to
msvcr71.dll

so if you want to compile projects that just need msvcrt.dll you

need

get your hands on the msvcrt.lib that comes with vc++6.

you always just link with msvcrt.lib but every version of vc++
references a different .dll file for it.

hope that helped :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What if i just install .net. Do guys think that might solve the

problem?

It seems like that 70 dll is from the .net version and somehow vs6

wants it for

my hl project. I have looked thu the project settings for hours

without

any

luck. I have changed a lot of the #include statements but mabye i

should just

update. I guess i have a real excuse now.

btw, is it pretty easy to upgrade?

Quoting tei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Its not hard to code a strcat and other small standard functions.
Maybe
you can code these functions in your source body, or search for a

free

replacement compatible with the SDK_EULA.

IF you can avoid extra downloads, or extra pre-requisites, the
installation and management will be much smoother...  Shit

Happends,..

K. Mike Bradley wrote:

If you install the .NET framework I think this dll come in that.

Run your browser and select "Tools", "Windows Update".
It will be one of the "Windows" updates offered.

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 5:38 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [hlcoders] huge debug problem

Well I installed the sdk and compiled that and added a line to

make

it

crash

and still got that missing dll thing. I don't know why it wants

mcsrv70.dll

I only have mcsrv40 and 20 on my pc. Why does it ask for 70?.  I

just

formatted and reinstalled vs 6.0 sp4. What is the deal with the

sdk?

My

other coding projects work fine but this has never happened

before

with the

hl sdk. I have never really edited the debugging libs before so I

don't

really know how I messed things up.

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

I thought I was using the std libs? The only thing i can think

of

is

perhaps im using the old header files <iostream.h> not

<iostream>.

Like I said beofre.
I rebuilt my project from the stock SDK so no project settings

are

changed.
Only the code.

Quoting "Jeffrey \"botman\" Broome" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

lately i have not been able to debug correctly because

whenever

get

a crash

visual stuio tells me it cant find some stupid dll file called

msvcr70.dll.

You should use the Visual C++ Debug Runtime libraries...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-

us/vccore98/html/_core_c_run.2d.time_debug_libraries.asp

...then you will have source code in your traceback and can see

where

you are going wrong.

--
Jeffrey "botman" Broome