> This statement would seem to demonstrate that you are somewhat ill-informed
> in this matter.

Ill-informed, yes, but not completely ignorant.  I read this
(http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/radiosity/radiosity.htm)
somewhere in the middle of the discussion, subsequent to my first
post.  Pretty much says everything you just did I think.

> It would be more truthful to state that there are articles out there by
> amateur
> persons (Gamedev.Net)  who are incorrectly calling their inaccurate diffuse
> illumination solutions  "radiosity". The actual Radiosity algorithm is well
> defined and well documented in academic publications, though perhaps
> these amateur persons have failed to study them sufficiently thoroughly.

To be entirely honest, I didn't even begin reading that article before
I linked to it.  My point at the time was that a simple Google search,
even by the uninformed, could produce some information that would
indicate that methods existed.  I read it later, and felt that, yes,
the author of the article came off as quite amateurish, almost like a
purveyor of perpetual motion machines.  (They all sound the same.)
But you should note I later pointed out the issue could be, quite
simply, a matter of ambiguous naming.  There are a lot of explanations
for the thing, and none of them are going to be completely
satisfactory other than Valve actually explaining the matter.  And if
I was someone from Valve right now, I personally wouldn't want to wade
out into the flame wars to disseminate that knowledge unless I really
had to.

(Sigh, and I'm sorry for breaking my promise.  *This* post is the
last.  Really, really.)
--
Bob Aman
http://www.rapidcanvas.com