Rick,

Im on cable modem, but I have limted band / month. So I  try to conserve as
much as I can from it.
So why should I have to download stuff to play my copy ?

>> reacting to those individuals abuse
Valve's direction with Steam is going back way before Hl2 problems.

>>If you want to blame someone, blame the crackers

I dont wanna blame anyone. And surely not Valve. But I find what they did
dislikeable.
If they had a honest "authenticate", I wouldnt mind that. But forcing me to
download
game data / binaries which should have been on the retail CDs is not ok. I
see
what they accomplised with this, protecting themselves by a cracked release
before the game
hit the shelves. But thats doesnt make it any better in my eyes. Valve is
not the single company which
was hit by resources / and or source code leak. idSoftware had those kind of
problems before,
and even a "free" 3D engine called "golk" was out there for a time, almsot
entirely baseed on q3 src code,
which was cutting edge at that time. Still, they did not did what Valve did.

Dan