vcpm reads the vcproj and makes makefiles. these makefiles are
intended to work with Makefile.Mod in the linux_sdk folder. If you
read Makefile in that folder you will see it actually compiles vcpm,
runs it on the server vcproj and then goes through Makefile.mod to run
the freshly created Makefile.hl_ReleaseHL2**Win32**. ALL FOR LINUX -
its quite clever really. you can just get a copy of your mod on linux
and compile it and it will pick up any changes from the vcproj. if i
had an IDE that used vcproj files i would love it.

(Side note, the reason its called Release HL2 Win32 is because Visual
Studio has a Release and Debug mode in a default project, you will
notice that in appends Win32 on this target... the tool is just naming
the makefile after the build target).

Now to get these to work with the toolkit you need to hack vcpm to
creat cl.exe style includes and defines (/I and /D). thats quite
simple to do. then you need to put the makefile in the a higher level
folder (because the make expects to be doing things like ../) - maybe
the server dll folder, not sure off the top of my head. you then need
to make modified versions of Makefile and Makefile.mod that dont
recreate the makefile (unless you want to keep that feature?) and that
work with VC++ rather than GCC.

But vcpm was definitely made with GCC in mind and im pretty sure linux as well.