Depends on your firearm. a pistol bullet can travel anywhere from less
than 1000 feet per second (subsonic 9mm pistol rounds) to 2750 FPS
(5.56 nato rifle rounds) or more. a granularity of 1 calculation every
50 meters is, at roughly mach 1, 7 caluclations a second. Well within
server tick rates.

On the issue of calulations times: if you're doing per-poly hit
detection things might get a bit hairy and expensive, but considering
the size of the hitboxes and the size of the maps (if you're using
smallest source sizes and biggest maps this probably won't apply) you
don't have much to fear. A difference of 1-2 world inches at 100 yards
won't make much of a difference.

You could make the weapon perfectly accurate in game, but the
calculation error alone would make the weapon just as accurate as it
is in real life. Sniper rifles could be higher-precision in
calculation to account for increased RL accuracy. You'd want to limit
the number of player-snipers, but I figure that with higher difficulty
you'd have less people bothering to snipe.

Yarin, you're really off on your figuring: 1 MOA (minute of angle,
roughly 1 inch at 100 yds) is about as accurate as an average hunting
rifle. 0.5 MOA is a worthy goal for dedicated sniper rifles, and 2 MOA
is average for most AR15 and AK type automatic rifles.

I'd also like you all to consider the following: why bother with
tracelines and their associated calculation at all. Why can't you have
a vphys bullet that operates like a snark? Damage doesn't happen until
it touches something. You can even make it nonsolid and have
penetration. just make the bullet put a traceline out behind it and
when it flies through a wall, the traceline detects the opposite
surface when it passes through and puts the decals, effects, and
decrements it's 'penetration' counter?

You might want to consider re-appropriating the SMG grenade's code:
when it contacts a model, it does area damage and removes itself,
right? remove the floor/wall contact code or replace it with
penetration, and you basically have a very low impulse, very large
bullet.

If anyone wants to hear more about ballistics, which I can tell you
quite a bit more about, you can contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if
enough people are interested in the nitty-gritty I'll send a more
refined ballistics information e-mai to the list.