Jeffrey "botman" Broome wrote:

From the hlds email list...

The Steam launcher now quotes each parameter (i.e "+connect" "+ip:port"
) which the HL1 engine does not correctly parse (this fixes game
launching problems when you have spaces in the path name). Adding those
extra quotes is a good work around (for all the arguments after the
applaunch parameter), we will work on a fix that doesn't need this extra
quoting. - Alfred

Dooooh! I should have read the next message from Alfred first...

"We have released a fix for this, restart steam to pick it up."

--
Jeffrey "botman" Broome