I'd love to see mods being distributed via Steam.  Paying for mods
doesnt make sence to me, yes as a developer I would love nothing more
than to get money for the work I do, but honestly I am going to do it
whether or not I am getting payed.  Paying for a mod defeats every
principle that the mod community was built on.  A fantastic way to
express your ideas and visions without having to pay for any licenses
or having to meet demands of a professional environment.  Valve has
done a lot for the modding community but I beleive that selling mods
over steam and taking half of the profits would be the worst thing
they could do.  Buying CS, DOD etc.. was a different story, they took
them on and made them into stand alone games.  Someone should point
that guy over to the Torque engine, because what he should be looking
to do is make a game, not a mod.

Along the lines of licensing and $$$, there a few mods out there that
offer special features to those who donate money to them, is that
technically allowed with the license that is used with the SDK?  I
understand donations and such, but can they really offer people extra
incentives to donate by using the Game itself?