Ok... i imagine something like...
You have a CBulletManager class.
someone shoots a bullet.
You test if this bullet hits something in this timeframe (1000ft
depending on the weapon) and it is an instant hit.
if it does not hit anything, you pass the bullet to the bulletmanager,
so the bulletmanager continues to trace the bullet on the next ticks,
until it hist something or exceeds max distance...