I pretty much fully agree with you Karl.

I'm speak under the assumption that, like most of the servers I seem
to remember, the words "OMG THIS SERVER IS RUNNING XMOD" are plastered
all over a joining player's screen.

As far as I know there's no way to look for servers running specific
plugins, but if someone makes a popular third party server browser
it'd be plenty possible and I'd bet quite successful.

And perhaps I'm grizzled about my experience with successful mod
authors. I loved NS, and respect the hell out of him for authoring one
of my favorite games of all time, but am also sore at seeing 1.04 die.
It was fresh on my mind at the time of writing :(

I wasn't alluding to anti-cheats, and don't think it's the same
situation unless you consider admins enemies. Remember, admins are
vital to your mod's longevity :P

Regarding competative play I fully agree too - that's where those nazi
tourny plugins regarding round time, starting rules, consistency, and
everything come into play. Not all servers [in fact most I'd assume]
are competition servers though.