I'm having the same problem.  I'm compiling my mod in gentoo linux
(Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r5), and running srcds in freebsd (FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE with linux_base-rh-9).

In freebsd, srcds runs fine with hl2dm, but fails to load my mod with
the following message:

Auto detecting CPU
Using AMD Optimised binary.

Console initialized.
Network: IP 127.0.0.1, mode MP, dedicated Yes, ports 27015 SV / 27005 CL
Failed to load server_i486.so
Failed to load server binary
couldn't exec valve.rc

In linux, I compared 'ldd server_i486.so' between hl2dm and my mod,
and the output was identical.

It would be wonderful if we could get native freebsd binaries for
srcds, and compile the sdk natively.. but I'd love some help in
getting it to run my linux binary.

Not sure if the hlds_linux mailing list would be a better place for
this, but while the thread is here.. =]

Thanks!
Casey
epicar at dystopia-mod.com