Ok,
In the past few days people have been asking after seeing some of our
in-game videos about dynamic lights and their overuse. People were
worried that low-end or older machines would not be able to see the
lights, or that they would lag them.

I said that, being the good coder that I am, i would make an option to
disable dynamic lighting from my MOD itself, or make sure that it would
have alternatives for older machines.

But i am wondering now exactly how i can achieve this.

Making a convar that prevents creating any DLights in my code is a
simple thing to do, a matter of minutes really. But i was wondering
about the possibility of using ELights versus DLights, then i realised i
didn't really know what the difference was, and if one or the other
needed Dx9/Dx9 compatible cards to show up or not.

So my questions are:
What is the real difference between AllocDlight and AllocElight?
I remember trying both for muzzleflashing and that ELights didn't bounce
off walls, but I am not sure of that fact anymore.
What hardware is needed to run DLights and what hardware is needed to
run ELights?
Should i hard code in a convar to turn them off, or will the engine take
care of managing that for me already?
Will it affect performance if i call AllocDlight on a machine that can't
handle them, or will they just not be displayed?

Thanks
Imperio59