I figured this out by the way.  Ends up the lines were being drawn behind the
background of the VGUI panel.  By removing the background I got them to show
up.  IT means I end up with a transparent panel, however by placing it in front
of a black brush based background it works fine.

Picture of it in action at http://www.oregonstate.edu/~holtt/tamucc/ekg.jpg and
a quick & dirty movie clip at http://www.oregonstate.edu/~holtt/tamucc/c1-1.wmv