Jeff Fearn wrote:

Clearly I am missing some fundamental understanding of how the lag
compensation works because I don't get how you come to this conclusion
from this scenario. Can you recommend a good discussion on lag
compensation?

Lag compensation basically allows the server to move everyone back in
time to the point when I fired my weapon to see if I hit anybody.

That's how people can run around behind cover and still get killed by
somebody that they just hid from.

The "multiplayer networking" tome does a pretty good job of explaining
this...

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/general/multiplayer_networking.html

(scroll to the bottom, see the pretty pictures).

--
Jeffrey "botman" Broome