I don't think you have to play with the SteamAppId; I didn't have to.

Check around the Valve Developer Wiki and it will tell you how to enable
3d maps for backgrounds (so you can disable them in your case) and
replace it with a normal 2d background.

Giedrius T. wrote:

Hi. I want my mod to be multiplayer, but it uses a lot of stuff from HL2
gcf, not hl2dm gcf. So I have chosen to "modify hl2dm". And when I have set
SteamAppId to 220, the menu is no longer that hl2dm background picture, it
loads a 3d background, just like in the original HL2. So I have extracted
background01.vmt from hl2dm gcf, but it only shows that picture while it's
specifies steamappid 220, but still has it's own logo, and it doesn't even
load the 3d background. Can anyone help me on how to fix that?

Kamran A
Get Firefox! Safer, Faster, Better.
<http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=85>
Down with Internet Explorer! Say "NO!" to Spyware! Use Firefox