We don't have a system available for mods right now. During a beta
period you could hijack the steam.inf file in hl2/ (copy it to your mods
directory) and enter your own name and version in their. Any servers you
run won't be listed on the master servers and will also have console
text saying they are out of date, but clients serverbrowsers while in
game will only show servers with the same version as the client.

As part of our Steam3 work we will be touching the master server system,
we can add a mod versioning capability at that time.

- Alfred