I've updated http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Compiling_under_Linux to
mention that gcc 4.x will not work.

However this behavior is surprising as I've extensively used cross-gcc version
libraries before, due to the need to interface with third party products on old
OSes.  Generally you should be able to load a library with a new gcc as long as
both libraries link to the correct runtimes dynamically.  For instance
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/abi.html#ABI_multi_testing contains an
example of essentially the exact scenario that I attempted, and it should work.

My current suspicion is that gcc 4 is generating code that is invalid, possibly
due to a gcc bug, or possibly due to the code containing undefined behavior,
which gcc 4 interprets differently than gcc 3 did.  Unfortunately due to the
necessity low warning levels it's hard to say which it might be.

In any case I've reverted to gcc 3.4.4 and both issues have gone away.