It isn't really executing commands on the server.. well it is.. kinda.

It's the same as typing a command in the console - if it isn't handled
by the client (things like cl_smooth) then it sends it to the server
(things like kill).

I have a follow up question along these lines..

In Dystopia they have VGUI Screens that you press buttons on to open
doors. I haven't even looked into vgui screens yet - but would this
also use the console command system? What's to stop a client just
binding a key to "vgui_screen_opendoor 234" or whatever? Or am I being
simple about it?