That's whole point though isn't it?  If you own the game then you'll get to
use that content where as if you don't own the game, what right do you have
to use the assests?  So if you make a mod using a couple of different Games
contents, ie. HL2 and Sin, both of which can be mounted easier than say
extracting and recompiling RO stuff for use in HL2, then wouldn't it make
sense that at the VERY least you'd be required to own both games.  I'm not a
legal expert, hell I'm not even a legal novice, but I'd imagine that common
sense would prevail here, and that would be : If you don't own the game or
your clients won't own the game, don't use that games content. :D

Just my 2 cents