Err, prediction would definitely work for a driving mod, prediction works by
allowing the local players input to be considered authoritative by the
client side for a little while, until the server acknowledges (or denies)
the predicted movements by the client.

In your example, if the driver stops his client would show the stop
immediately (by predicting it). After the server has acknowledged the stop
is in fact possible by sending the stopped location back to the client, the
client will say "okay cool, I already knew that, thanks for confirming."
Meanwhile the client has moved onto something else that the server will
ackowledge later. This allows the client to run around as if hes
latency-free and only mucks up when the server denies something the client
thinks it can do (ie, prediction error.)

If you don't predict, the game will feel very unresponsive, since your input
will have to be acknowledged by the server and sent back before you see it
happen. The higher your ping, the worse the response time. It works fine for
single player games but not for fast-paced multiplayer.