From: "Mike Durand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:15 PM
Subject: [hlcoders] SDK Bug Tracking Web Page

Hi All-

It's proving to be really difficult (at least for me) to keep track of
the SDK bugs and requested features via this mailing list and the
various chat boards that the community has set up. Therefore, I have
added a Bugzilla (http://www.bugzilla.org/) defect tracking server to
the VDC website at http://developer.valvesoftware.com/bugzilla.

Of course, the VDC Wiki will remain available for everyone but I think
that it shines as a documentation tool - not as an issue tracker. Just
as the forums and lists shine as idea and advice exchanges - not as
issue trackers.

I'm hoping that this additional tool will help me prioritize issues more
objectively as well as free many of the the community contributors from
the need to act as human bug tracking databases. I'm sure that there
will be kinks to work out, but I'm confident that this will make our
jobs easier in the long run.

Why Do We Need This?
********************

Lots of open source projects provide these servers to the community as a
concise communication tool between developers and users and it can work
really well. This will provide several advantages over the present
system of Wiki and forum based issue tracking.

1. Issue Severity Management - this tool will help me to prioritize
issues by allowing members of the community to vote for the bugs /
feature requests that matter to them. Since Valve doesn't have a lot of
resources dedicated to the SDK it has been a problem deciding what
issues to address in the sea of bug reports and requests that show up in
this list and on various forums.

2. Searchability - When you see an issue for the first time you will be
able to search Bugzilla to see if it exists in the database already. If
there is then (hopefully) you will see the workaround, the status, and
the expected delivery of the fix. This should reduce the amount of
redundant posts and e-mail threads that we see in this list and on the
boards. To me the boards are at their "best" when people use them to
exchange ideas and experience - so I'm hoping that this new system
allows you all to spend less time tracking issues and more time talking
about mod development.

3. Notification - Bugzilla can send you e-mail when the status of an
issue you care about changes. Again, this should result in you spending
less time wondering whether a bug is fixed and make it easier than
polling the list (or me) for the answer.

Registering As A User
*********************
You can give yourself a Bugzilla account by following this link:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/cgi-bin/bugzilla/createaccount.cgi

I would suggest that you all use the same e-mail address that you use in
lists/boards for consistency's sake. Note that you can query bugs
without registering as a user of the system.

User Conduct
************
Pretty much the same guidelines that we have in the boards, lists, and
VDC Wiki. Please don't use profanity and don't use the Bugzilla comments
as a means of corresponding with others - that's what the boards are
for.

Entering Bugs
*************
You can open bugs against each of the products that comprise the Source
SDK. Before adding a new bug or feature request please query the
existing bugs to make sure it has not already been opened. Also, please
only open a bug if you have confirmed through discussion with others on
a chat board or list that the bug really exists.

Please use as much detail as is necessary to describe the issue or
feature request and classify it as well as possible using the component,
severity, and version fields. Don't worry about priority, OS, platform,
or target milestone fields - I'll change those. And if there is not a
suitable component name available for a bug that you want to enter
please use "Unspecified" until I can add the proper component name.

Updating Bugs
*************
If you have comments to add regarding an opened bug you can feel free to
add to them to the bug. Especially welcome would be workarounds to
issues. I think that it's still appropriate to discuss workarounds in
lists and boards, but putting it in Bugzilla as well will make it easier
to find.

Voting on Issues
****************
This is the most useful feature of the tool. By voting for a particular
issue you can make it known to us how many teams are depending on an
issue to be fixed. Please take the time to go through the bug list
periodically and vote for the issues that you need fixed to make your
mod better. Please don't vote on things that you don't really need so
that I can prioritize tasks effectively.

Querying Bugs
*************
Querying bugs is a convenient way to find out the status of a bug
without needing to send out a "hey what ever happened to ..." message to
the boards. When I begin actively working on a bug I will update its
status and Bugzilla will send you an e-mail if you choose.

Closing Bugs
************
Just leave that part to me. I'll use the resolution field to communicate
which fixes/enhancements are showing up in an SDK release. The milestone
field will be used to specify the SDK version in which the fix will
appear. If it turns out that I prematurely close something that isn't
actually resolved then we can reopen it.

*****

I will spend some of my free cycles (heh) adding some of the recent
issues to the Bugzilla database. Please feel free to log on and start
adding issues yourself if I have yet to add one you care about.

I'm sure that you will have lots of questions, comments, and
suggestions. All of them polite and constructive. :)

-Mike